Mystery left side/stomach pain?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I'm a 19 year old female and on Monday night, I was sitting in my brothers car when i had an alarming pain, for lack of better words, erupt in my lower left side/stomach. I've never had anything like it. It was so bad that i had to sit up straight and hold my side and NOT move for a minute or two.

It slowly began to fade and I told my brother, who thought maybe my appendix burst. This made my fear worse, and since I have bad anxiety i was shaking the whole way home.

I went to my mom right away and told her what happened and what my brother thought what happened, considering she herself had had her appendix burst and removed. She told me she wasn't too worried because if mine had burst, she said I wouldn't even be able to stand up straight because of the pain.

It's been two days since, and while I haven't experienced pain that extreme since, I do have very mild pain, stiffness, and tension that comes and goes every now and then. As I began to type this, I did have a little pain that, while not too bad, was a little worse than the come and go stiffness.

I feel like I should mention that Monday nights I have orchestra practice from 7:30 to 10, and usually after practice, my back hurts. After eating dinner, I had a stomach ache more or less around the same area. I also got sick that night, the sneezing and coughing after I had that first initial pain causing, at the most, some soreness and mild discomfort.

I think this year is the most anxious I've ever been, having come close to one too many panic attacks while never letting myself fall into one. I've been thinking about going to see someone for them after my dad gets back from Arizona at the end of October.

I have no clue what could have caused this, either being too anxious, being sick, or because of acid issues I've had since about April(of this year). I'm going to my GI for the issue I've had since April again around the beginning of October and I plan on mentioning this to him.

I was hoping for some other peoples insight? This makes me very stressed out and that probably isn't helping me. My mom doesn't seem too worried and I trust her because I worry TOO much and once something is in my head, it's very hard to make it go away. I was just hoping for some other peoples perspectives. I can eat(because of my acid issues, I do get a nauseated sometimes to the point where I become too panicked to eat in fear of throwing up), I don't feel anything strange(like lumps) in the area, I can burp, sneeze, cough, go to the bathroom normally, and pass gas normally, so I'm not sure whats going on and that scares me.

I will be going to my doctor and telling him in October, unless it gets worse before then; if it does I'll probably rush right over to my local treatment center, which is much, MUCH closer than my doctors office. Thank you guys for any ideas that you may have!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Well one things for sure, you seem stress and stress can often weaken your immune system which is maybe why you got sick. Try some relaxation exercises And I hope you get better 
    • Posted

The way you sleep could also affect your organs, like sleeping on your sides might be causing some of the pains to your sides try sleeping on your back since your back hurts too
    • Posted

I will for sure try and sleep on my back more; I have a habit of sleeping on my right side. I’m gonna try and find some exercises to try out, thank you!
  • Posted

Your appendix is on your lower right side, not your left.  Does the pain move about your abdomen and do you have change of bowel habit?  If so, it could be IBS which can come on after anxiety and stress which you have had a lot of.
    • Posted

Good to know which side it’s on! The pain doesn’t move to the other side; the furthest it went to just before my bellybutton, still on the left but if anything it was more sore rather than straight out pain. That was only on the monday night it happened and hasn't really spread. Thank you for letting me know!

• Posted

Some people with IBS get pain mainly on their left side.  However, for it to be IBS,  you would also be getting bowel habit change. The other possibilty is an ovarian cyst that burst.  I would still see a doctor regardless of whether the pain gets worse or not especially if some pain is still there.
    • Posted

Yeah, if it doesn’t go away soon, that’s probably be what I do. I feel pretty ok today, so hopefully it’s going away.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.