Mystery symptom after bunionectomy. Help?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I'm exactly two weeks from my surgery. 2 screws to fix a mild bunion.

Since surgery I've had intense pressure build up and pain as soon as my foot hangs or when I attempt to walk( vertical position). The source of this pain and pressure is the top of my foot, away from surgical site and that area is painful to the touch and hard!

Is it some type of build up of something? I been trying to massage it but its not improved in regards to the hardness and painful touch . I told my doctor about it but he didnt think too much of it and prescribed me arthritis/inflammation cream... which isnt helping. He also JUST gave me gabapentin which seems to somewhat help with the pressure and pain build up when my leg is vertical. In addition, my big toe and part of my foot near the big toe is numb.

My question is:

1. Can anyone give me a lead about the painful hard area on top of my foot?
  2. Will the numb big toe eventually get feeling back?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I can't help you with your specific pain but I had lapidus bunionectomy in Dec 2019. I was amazed at the different types of pain that I experienced, one of which was a pressure pain. I was in a cast for 6 weeks and during the first half of that time, if not more, I experienced what I called pressure pain. It felt as though someone was bending my toes under. My doctor suggested it was nerves repairing or nerve type pain. It eventually subsided. It was so odd, it actually felt as though someone was bending my toes.

Regarding numbness.... It was a year ago last month and my big toe still has a lot of numbness/lack of sensation. I have just accepted that it is permanent.

I hope that you heal up and regain your feeling in your toe. I am still thankful that I had my surgery done as the bunion caused constant pain in my foot and that is now gone.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.