Mystery vertical white line under right hand thumbnail

Posted , 2 users are following.

There is this white line under my thumbnail that partially goes away and return. I'm not sure if it has something to do with my diet or lack of supplement intake. It has been there for more than five years. I've tried to search images of it on Google but, alas, cannot seem to find any that is similar to my condition. I've attached photos of it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Is the line gradually widening? It may be a fungal infection if it is. It could also be due to an old injury.

• Posted

Hi Marina, thank you for replying.

The line sometimes partially disappear and after a while reappears. The groove that the line is in remains the same. From the photo that I took yesterday the line seems to have become thinner. I've never injured my thumbs though. It's weird. I don't even know if I should consult a dermatologist or podiatrist.

• Posted

It might be an idea to see a dermatologist, or even your GP if you are in UK. You may be asked to to a clippings test of your nails. Just to test for any underlying fungal issues. Strange that it keeps disappearing and reappearing.

• Posted

I appreciate your suggestion! I'll begin by consulting a GP. Thank you again.

• Posted

do come back on here with the diagnosis. Very interesting.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.