NAFLD and fibroscan of 11.8

Posted , 2 users are following.

hi I'm new to this so please can anyone offer advise.

Im male 58 years old. 12 months ago I had some routine blood test done as I had a rash under my arm. These showed high ferritin levels which kept increasing with each test. Doc sent me for a liver biopsy which came back with .. Clinical details-'illegible'. Microscopy..consistent with nafld (there I mild portal inflammation, and fatty changes in parenchyma).

doc then sent me for fibroscan which was 11.8kpa.

doc said nothing and says see me again in 6 months.

I get some pain in the back and itchy armpits. 

Any thoughts.

thanks

Wyn

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi wyn, & fatty liver disease is epidemic now days, so you're not alone.  This said, with a fibroscan of 11.8, your doc should have some sort of treatment options for you.  A referral to a dietitian might be helpful.  

Simple sugars, particularly high fructose corn syrup (sodas are full of this) are more important to reduce than dietary fats.  

The "PIVENS trial" showed Vitamin-E to be helpful in slowing progression of disease.  Look for "Natural" Vitamin-E.  It should say natural on the label.  

High ferritin is common with fatty liver disease, but anytime you get abnormally high ferritin in a test result, a full iron lab which includes "transferrin saturation" (TSAT) would be wise.  TSAT should ideally be in the middle third of the normal range, and not up or over the top.  When ferritin is elevated, & TSAT is high, or near high, a referral to hematology is indicated to see if iron reduction through "therapeutic phlebotomy" might be indicated.  

Iron reduction has been shown helpful in controlling NASH (advanced fatty liver disease).  If you can't get a referral to hematology, you can lower iron on your own through blood donation.   Donate only "whole blood" & not plasma or platelets.  The iron is in the red cells.  

An 11.8 fibroscan with fatty liver is a bit concerning.  I'd keep working on resolving this until I felt confident I was doing everything possible to turn this around.  

Best of Luck, & stay healthy!  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.