Nails.

Posted , 4 users are following.

My finger nails have always been weak. For as long as I can remember, they've grown no further than the tips of my fingers before splitting, peeling and breaking.  I've used plastic nails for special occasions for many years. But, suddenly, even they have refused to co-operate. Every plastic naiI I try to stick just refuses to hold. Superglue doesn't hold nails in place!

At least I could depend upon my toenails to be painted and look decent during the months of open summer sandals......Till, about six months ago, when even they began to break at the tips. Toenails now so soft and weak that they split as soon as they grow to the tips of my toes. My right toenail is particularly susceptible to breaking. It grows to toe-tip, then splits right down the centre, then peels layer by layer, till it's a jagged, remnant of a nail. At that point, I have to try to emery-board it to some kind of level shape. 

I use all manner of lotions and creams to try to keep my nails and finger/toetips in good condition, but both are constantly rough and jagged. I don't know what else I can do.

My daughter gets married on 1st August this year. Obviously, I want to present a decent front for the occasion. Hands and feet will be a problem, though, in that my nails wil not be pleasant to view. 

Don't want to have to spend a small fortune on having extensions applied.

Any suggestions......?

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I have posted a link to the NHS website, which I hope will be approved soon!

Regarding the wedding, you may have to opt for plan B.  Could you perhaps get a pair of decorative gloves to hide your hands if your nails need to be hidden?  And toes, well, I guess it will have to be shoes of some sort or pretty tights to hide your feet.

I hope the wedding goes well.

• Posted

Congratulations on your daughter's wedding, Maggi!! smile

I have weak/bad nails, too. When I was single, I had regular manicures to keep my hands looking good and found some success with "gel nails", which are a hardened gel rather than plastic - but both will harm your real nail, so I was lucky that I was on pre-natal vitamins when I stopped. Now I have cycles of good/bad nail weeks...I don't know how else to explain it (and prenatal days ended over 7 years ago!).

What you're experiencing could be due to your diet or vitamin deficiency. Have you had blood work done recently?  

I know people recommend gelatin for stronger nails. It's not my thing, but perhaps that could help you?

Also, could it be the creams?  A friend used to put creams, lotion or petroleum jelly over her feet on a regular basis and she was dissolving her toenails in the process. 

I'm not sure what to suggest exactly. Maybe regular manicures/pedicures that don't involve extensions plus vitamins and maybe gelatin and a thorough check-up??  I'm interested to see what's worked for others!!

• Posted

My nails have always been breaking, but recently I had to start taking steroids and so had to also take vit D and calcium tablets for the steroid side effects. I just noticed how strong and good my nails suddenly are. I was talking to a friend also taking steroids with vit D and calcium supplements and she said the same thing, so we are assuming it is the calcium. I am sure it is not the steroids! 
  • Posted

Blood tests show no reason for life-long nail weakness. Just always been so. I eat a healthy enough diet; always have done. Balance of meat, fish and veg. Taken suppliments, too. No use. Nails still weak and prone to breakage.

Oh stuff it all! What  should I  care?

• Posted

Have you tried those nail strengthening varnishes?  They might help

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.