Nalfamene (Selincro) - desperate to try it to help reduce my drinking

Posted , 13 users are following.

I've seen other discussions on here about nalfamene and the difficulties getting it to help with cutting down drinking, but many seem to be older closed discussions, so apologies if I'm asking questions that have already been answered elsewhere.

I am desperate to try this Nalfamene to help me reduce my drinking but keep coming up against obstacles. Its now nearly 2 months since I saw my GP to request this and I'm no further forward. She referred me to a local alcohol service saying they would assess and prescribe this. i had my first meeting with them this week but came away disappointed, the person who interviewed me said she was not aware of their service prescribing this medication and only talked about detox and acamprosate,

Sadly I also came away feeling very demotivated and wanting to withdraw from their service partly because of the content of the letter she gave me to get bloods from my GP, but thats another matter.

I'm hoping someone can help me with the following:

Does anyone know if Selincro is available over the counter in Spain?

If it is, are any questions likely to be asked at the pharmacy in Spain? (I ask because its a friend who is going there and i was hoping to ask them to get me some if its available)

Please can anyone suggest anything else I can do to try to get this medication?

I've already tried to make 3 online purchases, twice from Pharmacy4U in the UK, but on both occassions their online systems failed, and the other two just looked too dodgy when they asked for money to be sent by wire transfer, one to the USA and the other to somewhere in Oceania.

I keep asking myself why is it so difficult to get to try this medication, its so frustrating because I desperately need to cut down and it sounds like this could help, I have the motivation but feel this slipping away with all the obstacles.

Thanks in advance for any info, help or advice anyone can offer.

D

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

David, the NHS area you're in has a big impact on just how one gets ahold of Nalmefene or Naltrexone on NHS. Joanna can help you determine that, or if you want to PM me the NHS area you're in, I'll take a shot at it. 

• Posted

David, did you come across my experience. I wrote a short paper on it as one of the first people to seek help from a GP with regards Selincro. If you haven't I am sure Joanna would provide you with a link.

Ray

• Posted

Hi Ray, thanks for your response, I'm in contact with Joanna now so I'll ask her for a link, I'd be very interested to read it.

Thanks

• Posted

Hi David,

Hope you managed to get Selincro and doing fine now!

Came across this few weeks ago and was trying give it a go. 

I was very disappointed and a bit shocked how people who supposed to provide you support and are paid for it (!) are disinterested and even rude! I was trying to get some help from my GP and local alcohol support groups, but they just wash their hands off and send you from one place to another. 

Following your discussion, I would really appreciate if someone help me out here.

Thank you in advance!

• Posted

Hi Tom! 

Joanna can help guide you through the hoops wrt getting Selincro or Naltrexone in your NHS area. Sometimes you have to educate the responsible parties and stand on your rights, but Joanna can help you determine who should be doing what in your NHS area and perhaps even tell you what steps to take when they are ignorant about treatments that you are entitled to. 

You can send her a private message by clicking on the envelope by her name in her post above. 

• Posted

Hi David,

I've had exactly the same problem.

Went to my local alcohol assessment centre after researching Nalmafene and to my surprise they hadn't heard of it !

Their approach is to just tell you to keep records and cut down !

Unfortunately for me it's not that easy !

Did you manage to get Nalmafene in the end ?

Rgds,

Andy.

• Posted

If you could cut down it would be simple and you wouldn't be at alcohol services would you! It seems to depend which one you go to. Mine don't prescribe Nalmafene but they prescribe Naltrexone which is similar, maybe better. Hope you got what you needed in the end

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.