Nalfmefene,zudzu and st johns wort

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have just been precribed nalfefene. I am not a fan of taking medication and wondered if anyone has had good results from taking zudzu and st johns wort? Im all or nothing with my drinking. I would like to reduce the amount i drink on a night out but i have not had much luck so far. I am thinking of trying the herbal route first.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Tried it, no joy. St Johns wart and zudzu are unrelated to alcohol and its cravings, those are seratonin inhibitors (basically exactly the same as anti depressents).

I am all or nothing too. Have been off 5 weeks now.

I am interested to see how you get on with that stuff, its always just a matter of time until I fall off the wagon.

3 home detoxes so far over the last 2 years.

• Posted

Nalmefene works if taken correctly, as does Naltrexone. There is no better treatment method available in the world. Although the person who described Nalmefene probably didn't call it this, the method is called The Sinclair Method. It has a 78% success rate in Finland where the method was developed. No other method is even as high as a 10% success rate.

Have a read on this forum and around the Internet. You may find stories of people saying it doesn't work for them. In reality, it DOES work if people are properly advised on how to take Nalmefene. Unfortunately, many clinicians, including those who prescribe it, are not familiar with exactly how it is supposed to work.

• Posted

Thank you, I don't drink Sunday though to wed so I will take one when I finish work on thurs and will take Friday after work then on sat and see if my usual drinking pattern changes. Do a lot of people struggle with insomnia? as read this by quite a few people.
    • Posted

Hi , I am on my  5 th tablet over 2 weeks , and insomnia is still a problem.

but to be fair I didn't sleep well before taking it . The other side effects are not as bad as the first time but still I do feel a bit odd when I have taken it , a bit anxious and nervous, but if it works eventually , I can put up with it . 

I think it's helping me , I have definitely slowed down with my drinking , 

after a bad day at work I would have drunk a whole bottle of wine by now , but I still have some left in the bottle , so for me that's a step forward . And I think it has to be small steps . It took me 10 years to get to drinking this heavily , so getting back to drinking like I used to is going to take some time . 

• Posted

You are probably used to drinking more and sleeping due to the booze?

Buy this stuff called 5HTP.

Its a natural suppliment. Have a read about it. Its a natural antidepressent and well as a precursor to seratonin.

It will also help you to sleep better and have less anxiety.

Make sure you get a good brand.

• Posted

Yes, alcohol causes sleep disturbance anyway so your sleep pattern may already not be good. All of the side-effects of Nalmefene subside over the first few times you take it. People who take it daily report that they get no side effects after about a week, so about 7 doses it will take for your body to get accustomed to it.
  • Posted

I took my first nalfmefene at 4pm today, it made me feel really dizzy and drowsy. I've taken myself to bed it's 7pm I feel sick and headache and really dizzy. I'm not going to take this drug again i feel dreadful
    • Posted

Don't give up on it. Nalmefene side-effects get less each time you take it until they are completely gone after a few times of taking it.

The rewards are well worth the pain, I promise.

• Posted

There are lots of threads on this forum about peoples experience with Nalmefene. Including mine. Yes it reduced my drinking and now I don't feel the need to drink all the time. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.