Nalmefene

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi,this is my first messasge,i am trying to cut down on my alcohol intake without success upto now,i drink 4 to 5 pints of 4% larger every night,i have tried Selincro once but the side affects where the worst i have ever experieneced and i was wondering if i took only half the dose the effects would be alot less.

Thank you for listening.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I went cold turkey 2 weeks ago from 14 cans a day everyday for 3 years. No effects but week 2 is harder!
  • Posted

Gary, the Selincro tablets should not be broken according to the Patient Information leaflet that came with them.

In terms of side effects, the first tablet is the worse by far. Then, with each tablet after the sid effects get less and less and less.

Make sure you eat a good meal about an hour before taking the tablet.  Drink lots of water with the tablet, whilst you are waiting the time, occasionally whilst you are drinking and also before you go to bed. 

This is the best way to ensure the side effects are kept as least troublesome as you can.  I know they aren't nice, but the long term effects of these tablets on your drinking are well worth the short term discomfort of getting started on them.

• Posted

You can't split Nalmefene pills as they are film coated. Splitting them is likely to make some side effects even worse. See if you can get Naltrexone instead. Many people find that the side effects are nowhere near as severe.

• Posted

Hi Gary,Having lost both my late parents to alcohol,please give up .Your liver will not take kindly to abuse.You can do it. please think about your job,& those around you that care for you.regards Amanda

• Posted

Hi Amanda,than you for your reply,sorry to hear about your parents.

I would love to cut right down but i am finding it so hard,i have been on antideppressants for 45 years now and survived cancer 7 years ago,i fear all my fight as been exhausted,i have to find some will power from somewhere.Many thanks for your concern.   Gary x.

• Posted

Hey gary - don't give up - this forum and fam will not let you.

I know about the anti deps - I was on them for about 14 years and they saved me.  Surviving cancer is awsome - and remember the saying "what does not kill you makes you stronger" - it is true - you have loads to offer people - you just don't know where to start.  Well here for sure. 

It is so hard for us guys to quit - but in my case quitting was not an option - I am doing fine with tapering - down and down gently - until I am on 2 small glasses of wine per night.  Weekend I do have a bottle - but don't care because I sleep which is bliss.  Can you taper?  it is safe and I have had no wd whotsoever and I was on 2 bottles of red a day. 

G

• Posted

Hi Gwen,many thanks for your care and encouragement,i am going to have to try hard now as its getting very serious.We often think to ourselves how did i get here but thinking back i have always had to have something to get me by.You take care.   Gary x.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.