Nalmefene

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi. I took my first nalmefene tablet yesterday lunchtime. By bedtime I had only consumed 1 bottle of wine instead of what would usually have been 2. After taking the tablet I felt spaced out and quite dizzy I fell asleep briefly and woke with a headache . I also have had a continual urge to stretch my body, both yesterday and throughout my restless nights sleep. My query is this, I desperately want to reduce my alcohol consumption. Since Christmas I have been trying not to drink Monday to Friday. Im hoping the side effects wont persist, but if I am only taking the tablets 3 or 4 days per week, is that enough for my body to build up resistance or will I have to suffer the side effects every time. Many thanks in advance of any advice.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Yes, the side effects are only temporary for most people - the first time is always the worst then they should reduce over the next 8-10 tablets. What you describe is absolutely normal.

To make things a little easier in the meantime, make sure you eat a decent meal before taking the tablet and drink plenty of water - before the tablet, with the tablet, and throughout the evening.

Once you are used to it, you will be able to take just with a glass of water but most people tend to keep having something to eat first (even if only a small) amount because doing so will help towards the overall goal of not overindulging in alcohol.

Any short term side effects are more than worth the long-term benefits that nalmefene gives.

• Posted

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I must admit I did take the tablet 2 hours before food and wine. I will take the next one after food, thank you. I was scared to take the tablet and I was concerned when i felt so strange and had the need to keep stretching my body, which continued throughout the night. Because the tablets work on the brain receptors I was worried I may have started some other condition.

• Posted

Are u advised to take the medication daily? Ur symptoms sound on par when starting the medication and r usually worse when u first start the meds. Hope ur eventually able to not drink at all, but I personally know how hard this can be.

• Posted

Thank you for responding. I have bought the tablets privately. I prefer that my doctor doesn't know because as mentioned in an earlier post, I was worried that this could impact on my life insurance policy. I too would like to think that I could eventually stop drinking altogether but in the meantime I would be happy to get it under control. I was concerned that i felt the way I did after taking the tablet, especially the need to keep stretching my body. I haven't read that this could be expected as a side effect.

• Posted

Completely understand so thank u for clarifying that. I sure hope ur able to get it under control. I know first hand how hard this can be after years of drinking myself. My twin brother just had a liver transplant February 6th and is still recovering in the hospital and working on re-learning the most basic physical things we take for granted. Despite him being diagnosed with ESLD in 2019 at the age of 31 I didn't put the bottle down. Talking to him now and hearing how grateful he is to have another opportunity at life is more than words can explain. Wishing u all my best and to a life of sobriety. Sober cheers! 

• Posted

Thank you very much for your input and i wish you all the best for the future. I also send my best wishes for your brothers full recovery x

• Posted

Thank you for ur well wishes. All my best as well. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.