nalmefene for 9 days now and no change to desire to drink.

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi everyone

This is a long post as its my first ever. I’m looking for some advice and information from anyone who has been in my position. Apart from short breaks I have drunk alcohol every evening of my life for over 35 years now and I recently decided that it is time to tackle it. I drink about two bottles of wine a night, and sometimes a couple of Gin and tonics etc. I drink on my own while making dinner and don’t really then stop.  This is of course way over the suggested limit, and though I don’t get hangovers, I do become argumentative and unreasonable quite soon after starting drinking, in fact after about three glasses of wine. I almost always end up asleep on the settee and then going to bed much later on and not remembering what happened after a certain amount. I’m fed up with myself and hearing my husband tell me  we have discussed something I’ve forgotten, or knowing we have had an argument, probably started by me but not remembering it. I’ve lost count of the number of parties and events I’ve been physically present at but too drunk to remember and we don’t invite people over as I know I will drink too much and be embarrassing. I have a great job, home, husband and stepchildren and I want to sort this out while that is still the case. When I’ve stopped for a few days deliberately in the past I have no physical withdrawal symptoms but I did get bored!  I can’t at the moment see myself going teetotal though that is probably the end plan. After  reading a lot about stopping  alcohol and potential relapses and withdrawal if you do it too fast etc I have decided to cut down over four to six months with the aim of being under 14 units a week by Christmas. I don’t want my doctor or employer to know about this and got hold of nalmefene on line.I had read about all the side effects of nalmefene and to be honest don’t like the idea of meds  but do like the idea of breaking the pattern and desire to drink too much. I did experience sleeplessness, night sweats, heart palpitations in the first three days but persevered and now on day 9 these are all reduced. I’ve been drinking mindfully,  I do wait the full two hours before drinking, and I’ve found the effects are reduced if I eat and drink quite a lot of water. I’ve read here that sometimes you can start increasing consumption when taking nalmefene and that it can take up to four months to notice a lessening of wanting to drink. Well I am not drinking more, but I am drinking the same, and feeling the effect even more. I’m also a bit spaced out til about 11am. I’m a bit worried I will end up drinking and also taking nalmefene every day so adding to the problem (and expense!). Has anyone charted their journey and found this and come out the other end and if so when and how did you start noticing you wanted to drink less? Looking back my father was an alcoholic, and his brother committed suicide being depressed and an alcoholic too so its always been in my life. My husband is a normal drinker as are many of my friends

0 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I dont see my reply from about 20 mins after your first post earlier today. I will see if this appears before i re-type the tome!
    • Posted

Hi Hayley

I too have hrld this same drink pattern for some 20 years and know it is time to stoo or become a 'normal drinker'. I literally only joined on sunday so was amazed tht someone with a similar problem popped up immediaely i have not tried any meds but read with interest the interruption idea and will be visiting Joannes website. i am in the phase where i recognise that it needs to stop and what i have read in your posts has given me heart. It 7pm and i havent touched a drop. The book is good, so interruption 1 worked.

• Posted

Hi there thank you for replying to my post  this can be a lonely journey. How are you getting on?
  • Posted

I just found a site with loads of information on vitamins, herbs etc to hlep with recovery.  AND I ordered several of them immediately.  I will let you know if they help me.  I dont actually want to stop drinking, but want to get it under control and I need to help my 71 yo extremely addicted to alcohol boyfriend.  We are taking some supplements already and his thinking and memory are improved.  Here is the link.    

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398316-adding-links-to-posts

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Hi Hayley firstly i must say well done on your decision to start this journey.Its really early days for you especially giving your drinking patterns. I was a binge drinker so could stop and start but never stay stopped or stop drinking once i started and believe me I got into lots of messes and took too.many risks once the booze was in me.I started my TSM journey last December taking nalmefene .I experienced all those side effects you mention although I was not as bad as some people describe but it was very inpleasant.However i continued on Joannas advice and took it for 8 consecutive days and side effects pretty much went .In the first 5 or 6 weekes i had some ups and downs still drinking too much sometimes and feeling like rubbish.Christmas didnt help I really noticed a big difference after 2-3 months, i was not really feeling the vibe anymore and struggled to drink 2 small glasses of wine .Its been much the same since but what has changed now is the frequency .After 4 months in I was only drinking once every 2 weeks and now its 6 months and i drink on a social occasion about every 3 weeks ..My interset in alcohol and attitude towards it has completely changed .I am so amazed ,its the miracle I once dreamed of.

Keep working with it Hayley and am sure you will have the same results in time.Time is the essence here .It was great to read your post.Thinking of you and wishing you all the very best.Keep posting so we know where you are on your journey x

• Posted

Nat hi I've got a bit but not much further on now. Am being patient as your journey resonates with me. I and still usually drinking as much maybe a bit less but tonight it tastes funny, metally, and I felt a bit sick after four glasses so stopped. When you and others say you struggled to drink much after 5 or 6 weeks I think you meant your brain didn't want to but for me it seems to be physical. Did anyone else find that?

• Posted

Hi Sue, I have had a similar experience the with my wine tasting metally , this seemed to be all the time and I kind of just thought it was me .I would think it is just the way tbe whole booze thing is being interpreted by the brain as not a very rewarding experience !

Last weekend I allowed myself to drink socially with friends ( up until now since starting TSM I have not really drank very socially ) I did have 3 glasses that night , good company and a good laugh . I was in complete control and and not a single urge to keep drinking...That night the wine tasted better and am wondering if that was because the whole experience was more enjoyable ie convivial company etc.

Anyway you sound to me like you are doing fine , just keep doing what you are doing , its still early days for you , just ensure you drink mindfully ..something us boozers are not used to doing but with the medication you can do it.! You can ! x

• Posted

Hi Nat,

Good to hear things are still going well for you.

I just wanted to highlight something you have done, maybe unintentionally or not, but that is a really good practise and something that I regularly recommend to others....

Drinking socially AND mindfully at the same time is a really difficult thing to learn.  As you correctly say, this drinking mindfully idea is so alien to all of us.  It's like a baby trying to run before they have reasonably mastered walking.

Anyway, the fact that you took time to get a good grip and understanding of mindfullness PRIOR to going out and doing TSM socially is a really excellent way of doing this.  I feel 100% confident that this is why you had a very enjoyable evening out.

Well done, this is great to hear!

:-)

• Posted

Hi Joanna , Thanks so much for that , I must say I feel now the TSM journey has well established itself and i am in a much safer place with alcohol .I know i musnt become complacent , always remain compliant and of course mindful .It did give a glimmer last week of how it feels to be a 'normal 'drinker . I am loving the freedom from the grip of alcohol that TSM has given me and am forever grateful of the support from yourself and everyone on this forum .Its like having a new life lol 😊😊

• Posted

Hayley I have sent you a reply but its gone to be moderated 😑 Hopefully you will get it 😀

• Posted

wov! i AM joining late and you have had so many good replies and support already...I would suggest to drink much less and faster and this is for your own health...i was also in a spiral of more and more and making an idiot of myself too often...medication is a good idea as well. You are going in the right direction and also being honest is brilliant!! Robin
    • Posted

Robin2026 I hopr you got my earlier reply I thought I'd comment on something that really resonates, you said drink slower...,.I'm a gulper..,who will be filling glasses including my own when they are half way down.... will now walk away and top up only when empty

• Posted

hello again Sue...i actually stopped 31st Dec 2012...or 4 1/2 years ago since I was drinkink myself to death IF I had carried..just wanted to claridy..never took medicine but always recommend NOT to do that. Better to seek medical advice  wink

Best of luck on your journey

Robin

• Posted

Amazing Robin ! I love reading these little snippets of your story such encouragement to everyone ..😊

• Posted

thanks..only one truth...never give up trying to improve/stop!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.