Nalmefene is working for me

Posted , 6 users are following.

I posted previously on here about what was then my struggle to be prescribed Nalmefene, to help in reducing/stopping my heavy alcohol consumption.

Well, after 3 months of being pushed from pillar to post; GP surgery, local alcohol recovery service, their area manager, two doctors and a Clinical Director, and jumping through some ridiculous hoops, I was finally prescribed Nalmefene about 6 weeks ago.

6 weeks in and I'm feeling much better in my self and more in control with my drinking. My drinking is about half of what it was then and I no longer drink into the night and fall asleep on the sofa and wake up to go to bed at 6am. I know I have more work to do and that this isnt a miracle drug, but I'm very pleased with the early results.

Regarding side effects, mine havnt been too bad at all, I had one sleepless night at the beginning, and occasional mild stomach ache and occasional mild nausea.

In short, I am very happy with these early results with Nalmefene, the future is feeling much more positive. I know that with compliance with this treatment, things can only get better.

I'd encourage anyone trying to get this treatment for themselves or a loved one to not give up, in my early and limited experience it is worth it, its just a shame that we have to fight for it.

Thanks

David

4 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

So glad to hear this, David.   Well done for your persistence - it is such an injustice that it is so difficult to get prescribed, mostly due to lack of knowledge about it and/or the outdated belief that immediate abstinence is the only way (despite that failing for people time and time again). 

Your results so far mean that, with compliance and some patience, you will be completely successful in due course, which is absolutely awesome and I am very, very happy for you.

Keep updating us as you go along!

)
  • Posted

Well done David. We gave up with the medics and got Nal online. My OH was so ill, we could not afford to wait whilst the medics twiddled their thumbs.

My OH has not looked back. TSM is a life saver. I do wish gps would be more willing to change their mindset of abstinence or the highway.

Congrats again

Kind Regards

JulieAnne x

• Posted

Hello David 

I've not posted on here for so long so hi every one smile 

I'm so happy for you ! This is a wonderful start for you after your struggle . Believe me , I understand 

I have been following TSM for nearly six months now . I went through the same difficult process to get prescribed Nalmefene , then , because after my extreme side effects was actually accepted by the alcohol centre to get Naltrexone !! . It was then passed to my doctor . After two months of the centre giving it to me , my doctor did . I explained fully how tsm works and my high hopes . She obviously didn't listen to a word of it and asked if I was not drinking with it ??? Deaf ears . Now she is refusing to give it to me off label . The centre now are also mucking me around saying they will ask the doctor there again but keep forgetting . I'm completely sick of it and don't have the money to buy it privately . 

Anyway , other than all of the constant struggles , I too am seeing good results . I'm a very slow starter as am only really seeing very subtle results but to be honest during these last few months , the changes in my life have been quite something . The wonderful thing about this method I feel is …..it is subtle, gentle , meaning it gives us a certain amount of sudden surprise without consciously trying and white knuckling ! My wine intake has reduced and must say , hardly ever have I walked to the shop to get another bottle . I was doing that soooo much . Also , I have noticed that I had extreme tiredness in the beginning , but now I have so much energy . It's taken a long way and although I say I've been compliant , I have slipped a couple of times . I always will plod on , step up and carry on . When this works fully for me …...My god , wait people !! I'm on a mission with these doctors . They really need a lesson . There is such a missing link for people like us . 

Don't know about you , but I think the most horrible thing for me was waiting outside the drug centre to be let in and then asked if I had been aggressive in in the last week  and was I managing to work and did I have a supervisor because I work as a counsellor ?? WTF Times need to change 

Lots of best wishes to you x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.