Nalmefene not working anymore??

Posted , 7 users are following.

I started taking Nalmefene about 6 weeks ago. I got the side effects....trippy and loss of appetite and the sleep issues. I managed to take 10 tablets and on each night struggled to drink a bottle of red wine. I was drinking water. I would have normally drank 2 bottles a night. I have been having 2 alcohol free days every week but now on days I do drink the Nalmefene seems less effective and the side effects have gone. I am now opening a second bottle when I drink and consuming less water. Am I just not trying hard enough or not using TSM? Should I double dose?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Alison, since I’m on Naltrexone, I’m not familiar with the dosage of Nalmefene.  Are you eating before you drink?  Are you taking your dose at least one hour before you drink?  If you’re concerned about the dosage, you should probably talk to your doctor. In the meantime, I’m sure you will get some good, better educated advice on this forum than I can give you.  Just don’t give up. I know there are ups and downs with TSM.  Seems after three months I’m drinking more some weeks and less other weeks for no apparent reason, but I’m sticking to it.  Good luck! 
  • Posted

Hi,

Please do not be concerned, there is no need to increase your dosage and it isn't that the nalmefene has stopped working.

What has happened is that your brain and body has now got used to the nalmefene and the 'honeymoon' period that most have with this treatment has ended.  It's okay, it's normal for this to happen.

This treatment is a partnership between the nalmefene and yourself.  The nalmefene will stop the cascade of chemical reactions that mean you compulsively struggle to stop drinking at a reasonable amount.  Now, it's up to you to work with it and start to change the habitual part of your drinking.

If you think of the many diet pills out there, the most well known are excellent at helping people to lose weight BUT in order for the results to be maintained, the patient has to learn to make some lifestyle changes such as learning to cook healthily and not going to the fast food restaurants etc.  In a way, the same is true with this treatment.

So, remain in compliance with taking the tablet as instructed prior to each drinking session, but then during the session look at ways to throw a spanner in the works and interrupt the way you normally drink.  This can be whatever suits you best - some people throw a soft drink in there and then make a decision after that soft drink about whether they really want another alcoholic one.  Others get up and do something else for 15 minutes/half an hour between drinks and then ask themselves if they want another one, etc.  I've even now a few who finish a drink and eat a mint immediately afterwards....  Basically, anything that helps you question whether you are satisfied by the alcohol.

You currently have a certain 'program' in your brain that has learned the way that you drink.  What the nalmefene will do is slowly delete that program and you can now begin to start learning how to replace it with better choices about drinking.  It can take some months to complete this, but it's well worth it in the end!

• Posted

Thank you. I have had a very easy AF evening tonight. Will try out the spanner throwing at a drinks event tomorrow.....a work leaving party. Good to have the information. Thank you. Alx
    • Posted

Well I had one glass of wine at work event then was bought another. Left it on table and went home early. Had a regret on way home.....so small glass of wine in pub. Home early. Diet Pepsi and no cravings. I am getting the hang of it I think.....and I accept I may make mistakes. Thank you for your support. Xx
    • Posted

Sleeping now Allison? You did well and controlled your drinking extremely well 😃 super!

• Posted

Hi

I think I am getting there. First 2 weeks of January I drank 7 times but not to excess. Last 2 weeks of January I only drank twice. It is like some sort of switch has turned off in my head and I don't want to drink. The red wine at home doesn't bother me....I don't have to distract myself at 6pm to avoid drinking. It all seems good. I decided to have some red wine last night. Took the Nalmefene. Waited 2 hours and opened a good bottle of red wine. I struggled to drink it all and my chocolate mini eggs tasted better! Must not start substituting wine with chocolate! When the bottle was gone I didn't crave more....although there was more in the house.

I really feel that I am making progress thanks to Nalmefene, TSM, this forum and Joanne and my own alcohol therapist.

Only month 5 but I feel normal around alcohol.

Thank you for your support

• Posted

What an improvemt Alison . you seem to be in a good space. For certain. Keep trying 😁 Robin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.