Nalmefene/Selincro psychological side effects

Posted , 8 users are following.

I've been interested to read the many postings of the physical side effects of taking this medication (dizziness, diarrhoea and so on – I was prepared for that). I found no one mentioning the unpleasant psychological side effects. This is a powerful medication. I've now taken it twice and honestly think a commitment to abstinece is easier than dealing with the effect of this drug and trying to reduce alcohol intake. I drink when I need to feel confident in social situations. Imagine trying to interract with people and be on good form  when you're feeling deeply weird, in a nightmarish, bad-trippy kind of way. My self confidence collapsed. I withdrew. It would have been easier not have taken anything, Nalmefene or alcohol. I realise there's always a wide range of reactions among people, and for others this medication may work fine, but I really couldn't recommend it. 

1 like, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Don't know why but I've just been notified that this is a new discussion (weird site).

I'm sorry you've had such a bad reaction and I can't really add any advice because I've had no side effects whatsoever.All I can advise is start taking it when you have a few days off to start getting used to it

• Posted

Yes, someone has got a sink plunger and unblocked it, so expect a load of notifications about old posts/threads from about three days ago, relating to stuff you have already read.
    • Posted

My main toilet us always getting blocked so I know how satisfying it is to get it unblockedsmile
  • Posted

Hi, I notice that you say you had an apple juice in hand, you did have an alcoholic drink too, if not that might be why you felt so weird.  I still have the side effects of feeling a bit grumpy and pressure or tingling on my face so , although this is not as prescribed, I now take the tablet just before I have an alcoholic drink and I have found that helps counteract the side effects whilst I still see a good reduction in total intake.  My weekly average units has come down from 60 (across 3 days normally) to 40 so I know its working.  I also now get hangovers and feel sick at times which is I believe how "normal" people react to drinking so I am happy to have those too!  I guess my real point is persevere if you can as I can feel and see the difference :-)
    • Posted

Not aimed at you Em,just tagging on to your post.

The truth of it is, what is the alternative? Do nothing, carry on as you are? You know where that is going to lead and let's face it, you're going to have to confront it sometime, even if it is when you end up in hospital via ambulance.

Best tackle it now, whilst you can.

• Posted

I agree with Joanna, re meds taken for other illnesses and side effects, RHGB, re what's the alternative and others who say stick with it. I'm on naltrexone which does have side effects, though they don't seem as severe as nalmephene. I'd say to anyone starting these successful drugs, yes they do have side effects ( like a lot of meds do) so take a week or two off work just in case. I'm now drinking once or twice a week on naltrexone, no more than a bottle of wine(used to be 1,2 or 3) and yes I do feel crap the next day but as Nicola said, that's how normal people feel! So don't give up or you don't know where it will lead. Well I do as I've been there and wouldn't wish it on anyone..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.