Nalmefene side effects! Don't think I can do it.

Posted , 11 users are following.

So I finally got a prescription for nalmefene via the pharmacy2u route. All excited I took my first tablet and then a bit later cracked open my wine. Didn't enjoy the wine (ok, that's the point) but after a couple of hours I just felt dreadful. I disappeared off to bed without saying anything to anyone at about 8pm. Had a dreadful night, a mixture of agitated yet out of it. Felt totally dreadful the next day, such that hubby took one look at me and promptly took the day off to manage kids etc. It took a couple of days to feel normal again.

So part of me thinks, did I do something wrong? The rest of me thinks, don't care, I'm not doing that again! So I now have 4 weeks of nalmefene (minus 1 tablet) that cost me an arm and a leg. And I don't think it agrees with me. Any advice anyone? sad

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I felt really bad on them too, took them for over a month and nausea got bit better but felt spaced out and struggled with work and normal day life, more so than with a hangover. I was more successful with abstaining, got through 8 months but life circumstances meant I slipped and struggling to get back on straight and narrow. May be worth speaking to doctor and continuing to give these meds a go or trying an alternative, naltrexone. I managed to go through nhs. Good luck xx
  • Posted

I had a lot of bad side effects with naltrexone as thatviscall I could get . Found they went away a bit after a few weeks and I learnt to drink a lot of water and eat something when I took them
  • Posted

Please don’t give up! ... you will soon receive responses from people that are far more knowledgeable than me on this, but my advice was (for the first few days) to take 1/2 tab and eat a large meal then wait an hour at least before first drink ....  I was so terrified of side effects but I  did this, and I was ok, even when I increased to a whole tab, I ate for the first week - it worked for me, so please try again x
  • Posted

Sorry, I should just add that I’m on Naltrexone not Nalmefene! 
  • Posted

If you're paying for it anyway, get Naltrexone.  It's wicked that Doctors give you Nalmefene which has truly horrible side effects and is almost guaranteed to make you give up. My daughter could not tolerate Nalmefene but has had no problem with Naltrexone.

• Posted

Keep at it please. Do not give up. Never took medication and cannot give advice. You can do it!
  • Posted

Oh Please don’t give up.  I have found that nalmefene has a lot worse side effects than naltrexone.  Also, try what Kerry suggested...start with half a tablet with a big meal. Make sure you wait long enough for the meds to kick in. 

Wishing you the best of luck!!

Karen

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.