Nalmephene (Selincro) day 1-2 experience

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi all,

Thought I would share my experience of Nalmefene from day one to the present.

Took my first tablet yesterday and felt completely out of it, drank 9 units and went to bed, slept for 4 hours then woke to experience a barrage of hot flushes. I tried taking the duvet off but was too cold, then tried opening the window but keeping the duvet on but sweated like it was hell on earth - needless to say, sleep was impossible. Also had a few issues with having to stretch now and again during the night and tightness in my legs. I had to attend work today, but fortunately I'm not a great sleeper anyway so I persevered.

Took tablet two today and felt sick, again persevered, only bought one bottle of wine and feel that that is quite enough. I'm apprehensive about tonight regarding the hot flushes, but at least I have an indicator of what might happen.

The main thing being I have my wine consumption down to one bottle, were normally it would be two - especially on a Friday. I feel also, I don't have to gulp my wine down, I can sip. 

Of course it's early days and I need to remember that just drinking a bottle a night is an achievement in itself, but I know what I'm like, I expect hard and fast results pronto - I need to realise it's a marathon not a sprint.

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I hope your side effects pass soon, BK522. You've probably heard by now that they often do. If you continue to feel nauseous, perhaps ask your physicianan about adding an OTC motion sickeness med like Dramamine or Bonide?

Your early results are very encouraging! Keep at it and let us know how you're doing. Thanks for the update! 

• Posted

Sleep disturbances are very common and seem to be the last of the side effects to ease off.  And the need to stretch is common too.

So pleased you have noticed that you no longer need to gulp smile

Be sure to eat, preferably a good meal about 30mins to 1 hour before the tablet, even if you don't want to..  Also drink as much water as you can.

If you struggle with sleep tonight and are really struggling tomorrow, it is okay to have a day off from the tablet (as long as you don't drink!) to give your mind and body a rest.

I took my first tablet, then felt so awful the next day that I couldn't face either the tablet or drinking.

I then felt a little stronger to resume on day 3.

Everyone is different, but the thing we all have in common when beginning ANY new medication is that we deserve to be kind to ourselves whilst we adjust.  Eat properly, drink water and don't overdo yourself.

• Posted

Hi Joanna unfortunately I drank two bottles of wine last night on my second tablet of Nalmefene, I know early days so trying not to beat myself up about it too much (I know what I'm like and expect instant gratification).

Although looking at your post I noticed something which I don't do... I don't eat before I take my tablet, I'm not a big eater and in wondering would this hinder my progress when taking the tablet?

Tonight I have a bottle and a half of wine, I've eaten a small sandwich at 8am and nothing since. I took my tablet at 2pm and started drinking at 4pm... Do I need to eat something to enhance the effects, or am I on the right path with what I'm doing?

• Posted

I really wish I was this sort of alkie lol.I eat my way through a bottle of wine which is why I've put on 4 stone in the last 10 years.

I don't really want to drink before I take my tablet because I put off eating till I can start drinking because to me they go hand in hand.I don't even think about eating unless I'm drinking

• Posted

I mean I don't want to eat till I've taken my tablet
    • Posted

I think eating helps lessen the side effects, but it may also put a dent in your appetite for alcohol, as well as slowing your absorption of (at least) that first drink. 
    • Posted

The meal, and water, beforehand is actually to help keep any side effects to a minimum in the beginning week or so, especially any nausea.  Once you are through the side effects, you don't need to eat first.  You can just take the tablet with a glass of water at that stage.

So, no, it doesn't actually affect the outcome, though some people have reported to me that they tend to drink less on a full stomach anyway, so it might be something for you to try.

And no, don't beat yourself up!   You only commitment is to take the tablet 2 hours before and start to learn how to incorporate mindful drinking but that is often something new to us, so it will take a little time to get the hang of :-)

• Posted

Weird Nicole, as I'm totally opposite to you. I hardly eat when I drink. Usually lose half a stone in a few days of a binge. Then after a binge, once the nausea from withdrawal 3 to 4 days, then I can't stop eating and put half stone back on over a week or so! It's like when I'm drinking and have to eat it tells my brain that the fun is over. We are all so different!

Took a naltrexone last night and drank just over 2/3rds of a bottle of red wine. Felt crap this morning and slept until mid day. Again, not nauseous but very lethargic. Probably until about 4. Tonight taken a pill about 6 and didn't start drinking until 7. Wasn't going to drink tonight as got a busy day tomorrow so hoping I will be ok in the morning. Big test really..

• Posted

Unfortunately after such a good start tonight I have bought another bottle of wine (which will make two) and am hell bent on drinking it...

Weak will power I know, I'm also adhering to my old ways of two bottles of wine on a Friday night.

Have taken Nalmefene and waited the two hours before I drank anything... Wondering if this is normal? Am I completely beyond help? Or is it going to take a while for the Nalmefene to have its impact of a complete cut down? Or do I need to have more will power?

• Posted

Nope, you're doing it exactly as you should. If you really want that drink, go ahead and have it, but stretch it out and drink mindfully as much as you can. It's a good idea to have a glass of water in between too. It's very common for your intake to go up and down, especially at first. Have a look at Forverfuzzy's thread, she's posted her totals and you can see it happens with her too. As long as you stick to the rule and take the Selincro 2 hours before you drink, you are keeping up your part of the bargain. 
    • Posted

I absolutely am adhering to the two hours, I work full time and take it 2 hours before I am due to get home (as soon as I get home I crave a drink) I set a timer as soon as I take it for 120 minutes to ensure I'm not sneaking a minute at all.

• Posted

Keep going BK522, i found the side effects on naltrexone ( same kind of med) horrendous last June and gave up on it. A few weeks ago, and months of heavy binges on and off, including stuff I've read on here, I've given it another go. Seriously this time and though it side effects were difficult, I really believe it's working. Still feel rubbish the following after a bottle of wine( didn't want more) but nowhere near as bad as hangover and could drink coffee and toast the following day( unheard of in the past when I'd crave wine to feel better. 

Sorry to ramble on but stick with it x

• Posted

Paper fairy well done on your progress, you have come on leaps and bounds. I'm just a little disheartened with the fact I'm still craving that second bottle of wine. Then worse, I'm expecting valadation to tell me I'm doing well when I purchase one? It just doesn't compute. Totally mixed up. I'm taking Nalmefene as instructed, that's my saving grace - trying to get myself into a place of normality.
    • Posted

It can be a bit of a rollercoaster ride, BK. Just hang in there, patience is key in this process.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.