Naltima

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone, need some advice please.

I have been looking into ordering naltrexone/naltima (UK). I have read online you have to be opioid free for 7/10 days before starting.

I have been taking co-codamol/zapane daily, which is another problem of mine, does anyone know what would happen if I took naltima and co-codamol or zapane?

I'm currently drinking 20/30 units a day and desperately need to stop but I'm worried about ordering the tablets because it says u have to be opioid free.

Thanks in advance

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

It is all up to you. Only you can make the move.
  • Posted

If you have opiates in your system when you take naltrexone, the naltrexone will push the opiates out of your system and put you into an opiate withdrawal situation.  You will be extremely sick and feel bad.  I know people who have done this (accidently because they didn't realise their existing medications contained opiates), and they instantly regretted not checking their existing meds properly.  No-one would ever do it knowingly.

Later, if you take opiates whilst the naltrexone is in your system then the naltrexone is already occupying the opioid receptors in the brain and the opiates will simply not be able to get through the blockage - the opiates will not work.

• Posted

^

To the OP, this is the best advice you will get, take heed.

• Posted

I’ll second RHGB’s comments
  • Posted

Hi well firstly mixes meds with alcohol not a good move. For any medication you may be thinking about taking you will have to be alcohol free as they won't do the job your taking them for and also alot of meds mixed with the amount your drinking could actually land you in a hospital. I was detoxed and spent 6 weeks in hospital 7 years ago and now have Korsakoff's syndrome I was 41 when that happened and live with that now and also severe circulation problems arthritis I do have a carer who sorts my meds my hospital appointments and anything else I need. My carer is my son !! If my brain had not gone pop as I say I would be dead now no dought about it ! I would be missing out on my gorgeous grandchildren my holidays and just life in general. I have bad days yes but the good days outnumber them always. You do need help and you do need to start talking about things to. People always say that there must have been a trigger for my addiction NOT it's an addiction full stop and it is very hard to break into won't lie about that but we all have choices and now the choice is obviously yours to make !! Good luck and do take very good care to !!

• Posted

Just to confirm, there are two medications that can be taken an hour or two prior to drinking, and they actually work better this way.  One is called Naltrexone - though that was approved way back in the mid 1990's with abstinence despite their being over 100 clinical trials that proved it gives better results when taken prior to drinking.  The other is more recently approved across Europe and is called nalmefene - and this is ONLY prescribed when someone is drinking to help them lower their consumption, right down to abstinence if they wish.

The above can be confirmed by googling the NHS Choices page Alcohol Misuse Treatment.

• Posted

Thanks for your response everyone, much appreciated.

I clearly need to sort my opioid taking before I can sort my alcohol out, long road ahead 😔 I wish it was as easy as people saying to me just stop drinking and taking co-codamol!!! But I suppose not everyone understands what addition is like. Thanks xx

• Posted

It's not going to be easy hun it's dam hard work but must admit when you are free of it you will find your life again !! Unfortunately my addiction has taken the majority of my life away but it was indeed all my own fault no one else to blame but to be honest back in 2011 when I was in hospital being diagnosed there wasn't half the help there is available now but still could never fault the help both medically and mentally !! You deserve a life !! Fight for it there really is life after it !!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.