Naltrexone from UK GP ?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi

So I am a recovering prescription opiate addict who has been clean for quite a while now.

Recently I have started to develop excruciating cravings for opiates and over the past few weeks it is getting more and more intense.

I have had CBT and counselling but it just does not take the cravings away. Speaking to another ex-addict they state that Naltrexone helped them massively and I should try it out.

Does anyone know if my GP can prescribe me this if I explain to them ?

I nearly relapsed yesterday the cravings were that bad and I want to nip it in the bud before I actually do.

I have been discharged from CGL so if I were to go back to them I woul dbe waiting weeks again.

Cheers

Trent

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Trent , i am a recovering opiates addict also , i sought help through my Doctors and local substance missuse clinic though from the start , i went into withdrawals for 24 hours then i went straight onto suboxone

it saved my life that medication , and you can be on it fr the rest of your life if you wish , why not go to your Gp and ask about this ?

i have no cravings now whatsoever and had none as soon as i started , 20 minutes ans its in your system , its incredible , dont give in , you can do this Lyndsy x

• Posted

hello,

i was addicted to codeine myself, i am seeing people at CGL in southwark, im not sure if its the same for all boroughs but at mine, you can self refer and see the duty worker until you get allocated again, from what my key worker told me, the cravings don't go, we can only hope to develop coping strageies and manage them as best we can. i highly doubt your gp would prescribe naltrexone for you, your best bet would be to see the duty worker on Monday morning if you can.

All the best,

Andy

• Posted

Hi All

Thanks for your replies.

My case with CGL has been closed but I spoke with the key-worker this morning and she states she can re-open it but I'll have to wait about 6 weeks to see their doctor as I am not a priority.

Thats why I was wondering if my GP would help me. What about a private doctor if I pay for it ? would they be able to write me a script.

As far as I can read on the NHS website GP's are allowed to prescribe it if they see fit, its just whether I see a doctor whos understanding or not.

Cheers

Trent

• Posted

Hi Trent, well done for conquering the prescription meds addiction and for recognising that you need to deal with your cravings. What a pity that the drug service can't help in the short term, but your best bet is definitely to see a GP. And most GPs would be aware of patients that have problems or had problems with prescription meds, there is a great deal of awareness now about that problem. Start with your own GP!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.