Naltrexone interactions

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have been using Kudzu to stop my cravings for alchohal and although it has helped I still sometimes drink and when I do I binge. I will be using naltrexone for these times. I also go to meetings. Do I have to worry about any interactions between Kudzu and Naltrexone?

My doctor knows nothing or very little about Kudzu.

Thank you

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I have never heard of Kudzu, a root extract having any affect on naltrxone. In fact people with alcohol issues to to be bad at avoiding eating well, so most medicines are designed to be okay with virtually everything.

I use a different medication to naltrexone, but many people here use it or the very similar nalmefene. And they will help advise you with using it.

• Posted

I replied to your other post. 

Ive taken this tablet for psoriasis and it helped. I agree with RHGB that you should be ok.

there are certain conditions where it's possibly best avoided. Liver problems being one of them

• Posted

I've replied on your other post. Hope you get the answers you need on here. Joanna and Paul are the experts on this

• Posted

There are no listed interactions between the two, but there are some interactions between Kudzu Root and other drugs, so it is worth searching 'Kudzu root drug interactions' on Google and checking that it doesn't interact badly with anything else you may be taking.

• Posted

John, have a look at this page. It's the method that I used and you might want to talk to your doc about it too:

https://patient.info/health/sinclair-method-for-alcohol-use-disorder

5 months down the road with it I went from being a daily drinker to having my first dry days in a long time. In the past month, I've had mostly dry days and only 6 drinks. Using The Sinclair Method slowly erases the compulsion to drink, the craving as well. 

• Posted

Thanks for the link. I am alrrady planning to only take the Naltrexone an hour before I drink and not every day. The Sinclair method looks promising. I also searched interactions with Kudzu and it says not to use kudzu with perscription medicatiin but it doesnt mention which....
    • Posted

Ah, you're good to go then. I know the Nal will work at least. Haven't heard of anyone using a combo of the two. 

• Posted

John,

I think my best suggestion would be to drop the Kudzu whilst you try The Sinclair Method. 

If TSM works for you then you won't need the kudzy anyway, as the way it works is that you are supposed to 'feel' a craving, then take the tablet, wait and drink mindfully to satisfy the craving.  If the Kudzu is stopping the cravings, then you are basically missing an opportunity to extinguish whatever the trigger is and the following craving for good.

You could always reintroduce the Kudzu if you feel you wish too, but if all goes well with TSM then you won't need to.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.