Naltrexone - new starter needing encouragement!

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello

i started on naltrexone 5 days ago and just wanted to speak to people who know about this. i am going alone (no dr involved) after reading the cure for alcoholism book but, in reality it feels lonely without contact. My consumption hasnt changed hugely so far and i am disappointed. It has probably dropped from just over a bottle of wine per night to 1 bottle, but its doesnt feel any different so far. i know its early days but knowing if this is normal for lots of others would help. Anyone want to encourage me??

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Paula,

Assuming you are the same Paula that has emailed me, I've just replied to you. Please check your email inbox and if not in there, please check your junk folder.

There are a number of people on this forum who have successfully used this treatment, me included, so I am sure that they will be along soon to reply, also, and give you some encouragement and experience.

Joanna

• Posted

People from all over the world will be here for you. You've made a start which is a big step!

• Posted

Paula, some people see an immediate reduction and some don't see a sizable reduction in their drinking on average for a number of months. Drinking levels on Naltrexone do move up and down by day or week, but you should see a downward trend developing on a month over month basis. Even when people find that they drink much less when starting Naltrexone, their drinking levels rise again, then roll off more slowly. This is just the way the brain makes changes, as it wants to maintain the same habits that it's used to. I'll send you a PM with the name of another resource you might be interested in.

• Posted

thanks for the reply ADEfree. Good to hear its not always a big drop off at the start for everyone. Paula

• Posted

thank you for taking the time to reply. still early days but only marginal changes so far. i am going to stick with it though!

• Posted

morning Paula, I'm a very heavy drinker Gin/t is my demand I am drinking 1/2 btt per day and more some days, I've read about naltrexone I thought you could only have the med from Dr's I really need to get myself together any info on naltrexone and where to get it would be great

good luck I will be thinking of you

jan x x

• Posted

i got mine from indiamart though you can get it in the uk. have a look on the c3 foundation website for details. it is more expensive from there though.

paula

• Posted

Hi Paula ,Its very early days for you but have faith in yourself and the medication .Try to work with the medication and be mindful when having a drink, the naltrexone will help with this.Sounds like you have noticed a bit of a decrease in consumption which is excellent .It is different for everyone some people have a big drop off immediatly and others more gradual.I have been using the Sinclair method for 3 yrs now , I noticed big changes at first and then I wavered a bit .Things settled down well for me after a few months of persevering . My drinking was still a bit too regular for my preference ( old weekend habits) but I didnt actually drink much when i drank ie one or maybe two drinks. so it took its course naturally .This last year has been amazing and I rarely drink now as there is no desire although i have one socially when the need arises and never forgetting my Naltrexone an hour before that drink and I still remain mindful and remind myself how good life is now

Good luck, just keep at it, be patient and dont beat yourself up if progress is not as fast as you would like ❤

• Posted

This is what i pray for. That if i stick to it, it will gradually reduce to me not being that bothered. Thanks for replying. paula

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.