Naltrexone/Selincro buying online.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello everyone this is my first post on this forum. Im glad i have found it i have learned alot of usefull info. My question is my doctor is reluctant to prescribe Selincro or Naltrexone because they dont know alot about it. so i have been looking into online chemist that supply both, i have noticed a big difference in price, the Naltrexone is cheaper but what i am confused about is the online consultation. For example one chemist has their own doctor who will give you a prescription if you fit the criteria and i was wondering if it is realy that straightforward? has anyone had any experience buying online and could give me some tips? thanks

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Leigh, I found it very straightforward. I filled in an on-line consultation and then I had to record a two week drink diary. Following this, I received a message from the doctor recommending selincro ( via the pharmacy site). I then ordered it and it arrived in days. You also get a code to do an online support programme provided by the same company that produce the medication. 

I don't what the difference is between selincro and naltrexone? Sorry. 

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. 😀

• Posted

Thanks for the reply, did you have to pay for a prescription? The site I looked at charge £15 for their doctor to give you the green light.
    • Posted

Yes I paid for the prescription but no separate charge for the consultation and on-line support. Although I'm sure part of the prescription fee must go to the pharmacy. I did a bit of research before buying on line and the pharmacy company I chose is registered with the CQC. 
  • Posted

I bought on line , went through some quesions , paid and got the tablets within 2 days,No drinking diary
    • Posted

That sounds easy. Can you tell me the name of the site please?
  • Posted

I bought a book called"the cure to alchoholism" read it myself and gave it to my doctor with other information. That should help. My doctor had never heard of the Sinclair method either but I have eventually win him round to prescribing to me. Goidkuck
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply. My doctor is totally disinterested unfortunately.
  • Posted

Hi Leigh, sorry to hear your doctor isn't interested. I looked into buying Selincro about a year ago and did the drink diary but it was going to cost too much, presumably because they were trying to sell me the tablets and not just the presciption.

Could you ask your doctor for a referral to your local drugs/alcohol advisory service? I got the feeling my GP didn't know much about naltrexone or campral, but she referred me to a local service and the woman there wrote to my GP and told her I needed a presciption for naltrexone and the GP obliged...

Good luck :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.