Namlemfene

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been trying to get this on prescription for some time from my gp and while it sems it has been aproved by nice. My doctor says it is not yet been aproved by CCG. I am very keen to curve my drink problem but still can't get the help needed. Can anybody tell me where i can get it from if not the doctor?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I went to my GP for it and was put in contact with an organisation called HAGA which is a drug and alchahol abuse organisation, They monitored me and met with me once a week for counciling etc for a month. Once I had gone through that prosess they then recommended Nalmefene to be prescribed to me GP. I think GP's can't just prescibe it without this sort of prosses as they need to make sure you are the right sort of candidate for the drug and see what your alcahol intake is like. i.e. that you don't need detox etc. I live in north London, but I am sure that wherever you live there will be some sort of organisation you can be put into contact with. Let me know as I could probably find out for you. Keep on keeping on.....don't give up as its so worth it. 
    • Posted

Hi I got mine straight away from the Dr and I'm in Ireland. had no problems getting it. It should be the same in the UK?  Boo how did you find the first few weeks?   Were you drinking much and how did hte process work for you - just curious as getting started. this is my first week in and i'm just wondering what to expect. I did drink but def not as much as I would have so it must be reducing
    • Posted

Hi Belinda, I found the first couple of weeks quite hard as I had quite bad side effects. But started drinking alot less almost immediately. Which I still am nearly 3 months later ! It definitley works....a God send as I was drinking way too much (bottle and a half every nights and blacking out ) and now struggle to have 3 glasses. Result ! How about you ?
    • Posted

Hi Boo, My intake is defenitely less - I suppose am still experimenting !!!  I have a few side effects but so worth it - i'm  wine lover so this is a God Send too - am only one week in - now i did drink at the weekend but on Friday night i drank a bottle with loads of ice over about 3 hours and i had a whiskey and coke which i didn't really want at all.  I would normally have drank a bottle of wine in an hour and be onto beers - was drinking way too much. I find am not craving as much, i would be sittig here before thinking how will i get the wine!!!  be planning a trip to the shop.  The feedback here is so encouraging as i don't want to quit - just gain control.  I think this means that nalmaphene is our friend for life. I have been so busy with exams etc that i have not had time to do any excercise - are you doing any?  I bet this also helps

• Posted

Nalmefen forever for me....can't bare nthe thought of ever going back to how I was ! Hangovers seem to be so much worse though. Last night I had a large glass of winde and two proseccos and today feel a bit hungover , which seems odd ! I do excersise every day at home for about 20 mins, pilates, swiss ball, weights but nothing to hardcore.
    • Posted

Sorry wine, not winde LOL
    • Posted

I know the hangovers are worse defenitely - I think what happened was we probably got so immune ot them - the only way then was to have another bottle of wine.  so how long are you on the nalmaphene?  what happened how did you come to go get it?  I had just enough of hangovers, wasting money and my family were getting on to me!
    • Posted

I love this site it's so great to be able to talk to others going through the same and helping and advising.
    • Posted

I have been drinking to much all my life....with varying consequences. \tried cutting down etc but it would never work for long. Also had breast cancer twice and I just got to a point of being so sick of being unable to drink like a normal person. I never thought I would be able to j ust cut down and would eventually have to give up ( not that I believed I really would or could, until I happened to hear about Nalmefene (Selincro) on TV one hungovwer morning....and the rest is history, as they say. What's your story ?

• Posted

same here i have been drinking too much for a long time - i'd sail along and then get readlly p*ssed and make a show of myself and got myself into some tricky situations.  I always was fit and not too bad looking then drinking too much weight came on and just dragged me down more - then drinking to cope with that.  but thankfully that's all changing now.  so tell me as you are ahead of me - when did the lightbulb moment come for you that made you think - this is working?  I haven't really reached that point yet.  I'm still thinking about having a glass later on !!  but have no craving like i would have had before. 
    • Posted

my reply is being moderated - i didn't mention any other websites
  • Posted

you could always try naltrexone anthony. it has a similar effect and may be easier to get hold of. 

i've found it's had really good results for me :-)

• Posted

Namalfene has been NICE approved. If your doctor is reluctant to prescribe it, I would simply ask for a second opinion.  You should be referred to a second doctor and hopefully you will get somebody a little more helpfull.

This is so frustrating, it is already so difficult to get the courage to seek treatment, and then to be patronised in this way.  Thank god for the internet, otherwise we would be so alone with this difficult condition.

Even if namalfene does not help, there is more in the pipeline as the first double blind study of high dose baclofene, called BACLAD, have been published and shows very very encouraging results (68 vs 24% of people stopping drinking (usually the difference versus placebo for this kind of treatment (such as namalfene) is 10% max!!!!!)). A the end of the year we should have the results of state funded BACLOVILLE and ALPADIR also for high dose baclofene.  These studies take time, as extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidences, but if their outcome is as the BACLAD study it will be amazing. 

Keep going, we are leaving a revolutionnary time where some addictions can now be cured (not simply replaced with other addictive drugs or controlled by will power) and you are going to be part.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.