nannylynn

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been on Amlodipine for just over a month. In the last week or so my ankles have swollen during the day. They go down during the night. I feel ok in myself but I am a bit worried about the ankles swelling up. Has anyone else experienced this?

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi !  When I first started on Amlodipine I was also taking another water tablet but once I stopped taking that, like you my ankles started swelling and gradually spread to legs, hands and wrists.  Even overnight the swelling only reduced slightly and my hands became very painful.  I know side effects can build up slowly so I hope things don't get worse for you.  When my pain got too bad I eventually went back to the doctor and was put on Ramipril with no improvement so now I have stopped all blood pressure medication and am currently taking steroids with all that entails to deal with the inflamation and pain. 
    • Posted

Thank you. I am not going to let it go on any longer I shall be returning to my GP and telling her I do not want to take them.
    • Posted

Steroids are the best and worst drugs....

Work on foods that cause inflammation and keeping the body more alkaline....acidic body = inflammation.

• Posted

nannylynn, I took Amlodipine for a few months and when the swollen ankles and legs eventually led to inflammation and a rash on my lower legs, a diagnosis of varicose eczema was given.  I stopped the Amlodipine and all the swelling disappeared in a couple of weeks, and the area with the varicose eczema resolved just leaving a faint tan appearance.   I'm sure your GP will agree to stop the Amlodipine and try you on one of the other many different medication for high BP.
    • Posted

poppet, that is always my worry with all these drugs.  It's one thing if we try a drug and stop it when it produces side effects but it's a whole different ball game when those side effects persist following cessation of the drug.

I do hope the steroids will prove to be successful in tackling the pain and inflammation and be a short term experience.  I had to take them for long term - not fun at the high doses but less side effects as the dose reduces.  Good luck and doo come back and let us know how you get on. 

• Posted

Hi My ankles became very swollen but were going down at night thought at first it was the warm weather then got worried and went to doctor. Stopped taking all medication now as they also caused sleepless nights bad indigestion back pain and feeling as though my mind was in a fog thought I was going mad. Now going to try natural ways to keep blood pressure down such as  almonds and bananas for potassium and garlic and tomatoes - good healthy diet.
    • Posted

Megan, I hope resorting to natural methods works for you.  I have an excellent  (mostly organic) salt-free diet, daily garlic, almonds and bananas, plus a half hour daily fast walk, don't smoke or drink alcohol but still have high blood pressure!  I do hope you fare better.
    • Posted

What's a "safer" BP med over this Amlopd.......I take 25mg Atenolol as well and read where somone took 50mg Atenolol....

These BP meds also cause fatigue.....

Celery is a good veggie for BP issues....also one could take celery extrat in caps....which also helps for arthritis.... Think I'll have a piece of organic celery right now.

• Posted

Yes, I've been trying the daily piece or organic celery, too.

As for what is a "safer" BP med than Amlodipine, if you mean one with less side effects, according to my pharmacist, it is Losartan Potassium.  It is the only BP med out of 6 in the last 18 months that I can honesty say I don't know I'm taking (no discernible side effects).  However, for me it is failing to keep my blood pressure down, so it will be back to the drawing board at my next consultation and on to yet another pill.

I took Atenolol some years ago - it was ok-ish but did seem to slow me down when walking and cause slight weight gain.  After about three years I had a kidney issue and the consultant switched me to another drug, promptly got very ill and although the drug was probably in no way to blame it was stopped.  In case you aren't already aware, if you ever have to come off Atenolol it should not be stopped suddenly but tapered gradually.  I learnt that to my cost when a pharmacist was horrified that the consultant hadn't suggested I tapered off it slowly.  She recommended taking about a week for each year on the drug to taper to zero.

• Posted

Also magnesium lowers BP and for about the last 6 months or so I have upped my mag intake to 1000-1500mg per day, in 3 doses thru the day.

Many take mag to bowel tolerance levels.....many are deficient...you can read that online.

I have a home monitor but get tired of that routine, the batteries may be dead anyway....as I said it will be interesting what the doc's office BP will be....since I've been taking more Vit C and more mag for some months....

• Posted

I'd really like to get off the Amlopdi......drug and know that grape seed extract works for lowering BP, I've been taking this antioxidant for 19 yrs.....look into this.

Higher doses of Vit C (good quality) can also lower BP.

I see my doc soon for my annual and it will be good to see my BP reading in her office....

In the meantime I take about 2000mg of a good vit c daily.

• Posted

Thanks on the Losartan Potassium, I wrote it down.
    • Posted

Thanks Joy, I am going to try the grape seed extract and vit. c.

I had been taking Atenolol for years with no problems but had to stop taking it as I developed Asthama.

• Posted

Grape seed ex will certainly help reduce asthmatic issues....my friend is taking grape seed ex about 6 yrs and she takes less asthma drugs....she has her husband on grape seed too. Extra Vit C thru the day and magnesium is essential, to bowel tolerance.... Better loose bowels than constipation....
  • Posted

Also there are homeopathics for everything including BP, I take some for other issues as adjuncts to my supplements.... I use them for sleep, nerve pain, OA and Fibro and a topical with 11 homeopathics in the mix.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.