Nanoknife--- anybody have experience with this??

Posted , 5 users are following.

Anybody had treatment with Nanoknife or know anything about it??

Thanks,

Fred

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I looked at it for Prostate Cancer but it is still radiation in a fine beam. I settled for Proton Therapy from a company who is starting to supply the NHS with services. Very targeted beam and I had no side effects and no problems. Now on 6 monthly check up's and my PSA is only 0.12. The company is called Rutherford Cancer Care and it is the latest and most safe therapy I found. However, it is private and costs.

Good luck with whichever you choose.

Dennis

• Posted

There is some confusion here. Proton beam therapy is sometimes called nanoknife or nanotherapy. However, the nanoknife is a device marketed by Angiodynamics which uses IRE (irreversible electroporation) under general anesthesia to kill tumors. Alot of research in this device involves pancreas cancer. The probes (needles) must be very precisely placed in order for the electrical currents to kill tissue but it seems to spare nerves and blood vessels better than other technologies.

The true nanoknife is not radiation therapy and not covered by any insurance.

• Posted

Dennis, Thank you and good luck with your continued recovery.

Fred

• Posted

I am a person who uses new technologies for a patient's benefit but watch out with these as many, including nanoknife, are unproven. Ask to see publications that verify safety and efficacy. I publish results of my work and keep a database of all patients. Anyone using such technologies for patients should do the same:

"Manufacturers are marketing many pricey new technologies such as the ExAblate machine, the NanoKnife, a device for destroying hard-to-reach tumors, and other devices to hospitals and physicians. But these technologies often present hospital administrators and physicians with dilemmas. They feel competitive pressure to offer their patients what could be a less invasive and more effective treatment options. But many of these technologies have not been fully tested in randomized clinical trials, and insurers are balking at paying for their use. ECRI this year placed focused ultrasound on its annual top 10 “watch list” that assesses expensive, unproven technologies."

Best wishes

• Posted

Thank you, Eric. Good information.

Best wishes,

Fred

• Posted

Trying to help you Fred so read on! I have been treated by Proton Therapy and never heard it described as Nanoknife. I suspect that you are in the USA where there are sometimes treatments used that may not be used in the UK.

The Proton therapy machine I was treated with is made by a firm in Belgium who are a leader in the field, called IBA. I know that they have supplied units to University hospitals in the USA. You would be best to look up supplying it. In the UK a company called Rutherford Cancer Care has 3 centres open and you can see what it is and how it works by looking at their website.

I heard about nano knife but in the UK the words describe, I believe, a fine beam of radiation.

Proton beam machines are very hi tech and cost something like £40 million each. It works by knowing the exact target dimensions of the target and a low energy beam is used to "scan" the target, in my case, the prostate. It releases high energy only when it is at the target. The latest units are called "pencil" beam and that was used for my treatment. My treatment was done 15 months ago and I have no sign of cancer now and a very low reading for PSA. Also no side effects.

• Posted

Hi Dennis, Thanks for writing. My understanding is that Nanoknife is not radiation, but an electrical field that is applied directly to the lesion using electrodes placed through the perineum. Apparantly the process is also called Irreversibleelectroporation or IRE. Apparently only available in a limited number of centers worldwide at the moment, it looks like a promising technology and apparently is already approved by the FDA .

Best wishes,

Fred

• Posted

I think it is what it says on the tin. Its a small knife that cuts off things on the inside. I personally think that is what it is. I am not certain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.