Naprosyn and Warafin

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been taking Naprosyn for my knees for the past 8 months together with my warafin tabletes my GP is now telling me that i cannot take Naprosyn any more because i'm on Warafin has anybody else had this experience?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Alane,

Warfarin is an anticoagulant and it is used to prevent formation of blood clots in the blood vessels. It is very effective treatment for preventing thrombosis and thromboembolism. However it is very important to manage warfarin dose, as there is a risk of dangerous side effects such as bleeding. Warfarin dose is managed based on INR level. Warfarin interacts with many medicines result in an increase or a decrease in warfarin effect. If the patient is taking Naprosyn (naproxen) along with warfarin, drug interaction results in increasing the anticoagulant effect of warfarin. It increases the risk of dangerous side effects like bleeding. Your INR value might have increased. Increase in INR level increases the risk of bleeding, so it is better to avoid Naprosyn. 

• Posted

Thanks for the info it begs the quaetion why did my GP allow me to take it for 8 months?
    • Posted

Hi Alan, Warfarin dose is managed based on INR value. Initially your INR value might be within normal range.
  • Posted

I took naproxin, the same as you took but slightly different name, for several years because of screws I have in my lower spine. They actually caused me so many problems I wish I had never heard of them. First of all they damaged my stomach, resulting in me taking pantazol to protect my stomach. This in turn caused my stomach to not absorb sufficient vitamin B12, causing some form of epilepsy, memory loss, dizzyness, you get the idea, and may have contributed to my heart attack, they are not 100% sure of this. If I was you, I would leave this well alone.
    • Posted

Thanks michaele i think that i will give it a wide berth

Alan

• Posted

The reason is simple. Naproxen can cause stomach ulceration/ gastritis which can bleed a little. Warfarin thins your blood and makes you prone to bleed more heavily. The bleeding in the stomach can then be massive or life threatening.
  • Posted

You can get some alternative pain relief for your knees from your doctor such as cocodamol or tram afoul. Some find knee injections gives pain relief for a few months to years. 

If you want naproxen you can ask for omeprazole as well from your GP. This coats the stomach lining and prevents the ulceration caused by the naproxen

• Posted

Thanks am already on omeprazole for my heatus hernia so that begs the question does my GP know what she's donig?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.