Naproxan

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all, I'm now 5.5 months post RTKR and doing well.

I'm disappointed that I'm still reliant on naproxan as I really would prefer to not take it. If I miss it for a day or two I get a lot of stiffness in my new knee, general tightness and a bit of discomfort. My ROM is generally good. Any advice please. X

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Switch from a systemic to a topical.  NSAIDs are not really great for long term use.  Voltaren Gel is the best topical anti-inflammatory on the market...RX in the US, generic diclofenac everywhere else.  Use it a few times a day, especially at bedtime.

The "stiffness/tightness" lasts a while...totally normal.  You almost forget about it by your first anniversary but could last longer.  Doing the muscle rebuild for your quads, glutes and core definitely helps.  Life-long?  TKR veterans report that the stiffness will return if you stop actively using/exercising the knee.

• Posted

Just stop taking it and put up with the stiffness , or just take a panadol . You will have a bit of discomfort but they are bad for you , I never took pain killers after8 wks except panadol osteo
    • Posted

To quote my surgeon ‘the biggest mistake people make is trying to stop or reduce  the pain relief too soon’ 
    • Posted

Agreed.  This is not a test of endurance.  Need the meds?  Take the meds.  You will be off them soon enough...
  • Posted

Hi I agree with Chico that Voltarol Gel worth trying I find it very good. It is available on prescription in the UK but especially if you are in England it may or may not be on the local CCG ‘approved’ list but your GP should be able to justify on basis of clinical need. But they may make you jump through the hoops of trying another topical that IS approved first - ibuprofen gel, pirixicam, ketoprofen did example. You may need to stick up for yourself on this the nhs postcode lottery is getting worse in the UK especially in England 
  • Posted

I am over 6 months post RTKR.  I had a heart attack a couple of years ago so I am not suppose to take Naproxen or any other anti-inflammatory.   Since like you I still get stiffness, general tightness and discomfort from my knee I use ice, elevation and the Voltaren Gel for relief.  Then if I have really over used my knee...I use a Flector Patch (diclofenac epolamine patch 1.3%) which you need a RX for here in the states.  I wrap it around my knee and then wrap my knee with an elastic wrap to keep it in place and that can be left on for 12 hours.  

But if I hadn't had the heart attack and could take the anti-inflammatories, I would take one now and then for relief...my husband had a bad fall years ago and broke ribs and both collarbones.  The doctor had him take Naproxen for about 6 months to help while he was healing.  So I would talk with your doctor about how safe it is for you to take (stomach issues/heart issues and so on).

• Posted

if you're doing well, why still taking Aleve?  Just wondering...  Im 6 months po, and I still have to take it.  Went to my Primary care physician yesterday and she discouraged me from taking it. Said it can damage my kidneys...

• Posted

Please note:

There are two types of OTC pain relievers.  The first is a group called NSAIDs..Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drug.  They are ALL THE SAME...Ibuprofen, Naproxen, Aleve, etc...etc...  Also included in this group is plain, old aspirin. They are NSAIDs...best used for inflammation conditions. The second is Acetaminophen...Tylenol.  Lots of brand names and house brands for this stuff.  Best for aches and pain.

You will also see these drugs mixed with other pain relievers.  Example: Oxycodone with Acetaminophen is called Percocet.  Notice a dosage like 5/325 indicating 5 mg of the opioid and 325 mg of the Tylenol.  The same oxycodone mixed with aspirin is called Percodan...notice the name change?

What you have to do, as a wise consumer, is to READ THE LABEL!!!!!!  Know what you're taking and how much.  Know that NSAIDs cannot be taken long term as they have an adverse effect on your stomach lining.  Also, Tylenol is NOT recommended long term.  These seemingly innocuous meds have long-term effects.  Beware.

Sorry...  Was married to a pharmacist for 25 years and now a great lady who was a psych nurse for thirty.  I've been surrounded by the science for decades...

• Posted

Hi Chico Marx, I have been on NSAIDS in one form or another for quite a lot of years, not consistently but when nothing else is working. My new knee is 100% better than before in terms of pain and I am having my other knee done on 17th August so hopefully that will go as smoothly as possible.

My problem is when I cut back on NSAIDS I have pain in my knees, shoulders, elbows, fingers and ankles. I have as my doctor many times why I have so much inflammation in my body but I have got no answers. I have had painful joints since my early forties, I am 53 now and relatively healthy.

I have underactive thyroid and diabetes which can be autoimmune conditions and I wonder is there a link.

I suppose I'm worried that i'll go through 2 knee re[placements and still end up in pain.

I have had my rheumatoid factor checked many times but always negative.

Sorry for the long post but I just wondered if you have any thoughts on it.

• Posted

Have you looked into fibromyalgia?  There are specific meds for that.  Have you tried glucosamine and condroitin for the achy joints?  Arthritis, like rust, never sleeps.  All sorts of help for that condition.

NSAIDS can eat away at your stomach lining causing ulcers and all sorts of problems.  You should avoid that by finding the root causes for your conditions and treating them appropriately without having to rely solely on NSAIDs.

• Posted

Thank you all for your replies. I'm going to try to do without naproxen and see how I go. Knee 2, 17th August.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.