narrow painful stools

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all, I am suffering from very painful anal fissure for 5 months followed by piles and occasional bleeding. I am seeing a consultant in a hospital soon. My question here is about the thickness of my stools. they used to be between 1-2 cm in diameter when I had no problems but now even when the poo is very soft, its very thin like only half a cm in diameter and sometimes it comes out in a strange pattern of semi circle diameter. could this be due to inflammation and piles? anybody with a similar experience?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I had a very similar experience after my surgery (yours is perior to any surgery) ...my stool pattern changed to strange shapes like you mentioned) very thin, sometimes circles, sometimes like thin papers...) It was because my anal exit which was narrowed due to inflammation, swelling and stitches, was shaping the stool...So yours can be due to inflammation as well, either passing through the piles or just your contracted rectal muscles, or spasms. You're probably too nervous and scared of pooping normally because of huge pain. My suggestion is to use sitz bath, sit in warm water and relax yourself. It's not easy and is definitely painful but don't focus too much on pain. Not easy, but not impossible to overcome the situation until you meet your doctor in hospital. Remember: 1) search, ask if you don't know and try all your best to avoid constipation 2) Sitz bath 3) Be relax, positive and remember that this pain will come to an end after a surgery or medication by hospital. Then you'll be happy... Best wishes.

• Posted

Hi Allen

thanks for your reply. Did you have the surgery for haemorrhoids? How long did it take to recover? I am regularly taking stool softeners and following a very careful diet but still no signs of improvement. I do take site baths but not daily. Now I feel my back passage is so inflamed and swollen that I can’t apply any ointment like anusol to reach the needed part, its just outside and on the rim. I am now desperate to get relief from this horrible condition not to mention the fear of the worst that haunts me day and night.

• Posted

Yes, I did the surgery 16 days ago (Oct 22nd). Not easy but lot of improvement. Not recovered yet, but feeling much better than before. I started taking stool softener a week after surgery, so I suffered a lot from the pain during BM. It's good you've already started stool softener prior to any possible surgery. I fully understand your feeling and the horrible pain, but you will definitely feel better day after day after surgery. Maybe not the fist week, but feeling relieved will start soon. Are you sure or did your doctor tell you that you should operate?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.