Nasal decongestants

Posted , 3 users are following.

anyone anyone have problems with nasal sprays like Afrin exacerbating their BPH symptoms?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Yes. Check the label on the Afrin. It probably says something like "ask a doctor before use if you have trouble urinating due to an enlarged prostate". Heed this warning at your own risk. Plus products like Afrin are addictive in the sense that you continue to need more and more to get the same effect. Several months back, I started a thread on alternatives. However, truth be told, none of the alternative work as well for me and I think for most people. But products like Afrin are just too dangerous to use if you have BPH. I have not tried Flonase, so maybe that is an option.

If the congestion is bad at night (which tends to be the case) try sleeping with a bed wedge that will elevate you head and torso. You can find these on Amazon. It should help somewhat with drainage. Best of luck.

• Posted

John:

I forgot to mention that you should give nasal strips (breathe right) a try, particularly for sleeping. Through trial and error I found that I needed the extra hold strips but for sensitive skin. The "non-sensitive skin" strips caused a lot of irritation on my nose. Strongly suggest you try them. They just might give you some relief.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.