Nasal passageway obstruction

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi All,

I had gone to see an ENT last year about being tired and issues breathing out of my right side of my nose. Throughout the day the left side is working but when I go to sleep or lie in bed is when I notice I have issues breathing if just the right side is working. I had a sleep study which was done but was most likely useless as I had issues with the device prior to sleeping.

In any case I decided to have the surgery for the deviated septum as I had issues breathing and while it may not have fixed being tired it would at least fix this issue.

Fast forward to December when I went back and told the doctor who operated on me that I could see that the passageway wasn't opened up he tells me he worked only on the deviated septum and wasn't qualified to work on the struture of the nose. I really wanted to punch him in the face because he knew that I had issues with the passageway, I mentioned it to him numerous times and he complely ignored it.

He referred me to another doctor which works with him that performs nasal reconstrutive surgery. I had a visit with him back in February. He mentioned to me that he would need to make an incision in the bottom of the nose and then take cartilidge out of my ear to fix the nose.

I'd like to know if this is the only way to fix my nose. I was seeing some videos online that there is a less invasive procedure that can be done in 5 minutes to open up the passageway. I just would like to know my options if there are any others before going in.

I've tried breath rite strips and while they work, I get a red rash and my skin starts to peel after a few days. I've tried some that go into the nose and start getting sore after a few days as well. 

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I don't plan on going in for anything for another month as I am being treated for Lyme (which who knows what that is contributing to this).

Thanks for your time.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hiya,

Try using a Saline rinse for your nose twice a day or more use a Neli Med kit as the plastic bottle lets you control the pressure and gets up higher into your sinus

Good Luck

• Posted

Hi Charles,

Thanks for the information. I don't think the issue is needing a rinse. When my left nostril is breathing I don't seem to have any problems. It's just the right side which is narrow that has the problem.

• Posted

I have a deviated septum which was restricting breathing and I thought I may need a septoplasty to rectify it, but in fact I've recently been put on Avamys nasal spray and am really surprised at the difference it has made, despite the left side being significantly narrower. May be worth trying if you haven't already.
  • Posted

Hi 

Sympathise with you I also have problems breathing out of one side because of a deviated nasal septum. I will be offered a date for surgery in July 2016 to straighten it but the doctor as well as friends who also have had similar surgery done, said it doesn't make much of a difference. So I am actually reconsidering it. 

I started having cinnamon chai one winter and found my sneezing and blocked sinus greatly improved. 

• Posted

If you have doubts you should text the doctor and cancel. Do not see him person to person. Do not talk to him, just cancel at his office by phone.
    • Posted

Hi

Yes I did go ahead with the surgery in August 2016. It went ok I recovered after 2 weeks. I can breathe clearly through both nostrils now even at night which I couldn't before so had to sleep with mouth open which used to lead to horrible raspy sore throats - which I don't get anymore now!

I'm glad I went ahead with it !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.