Nasal Polyps Surgery worries

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, my boyfriend has nasal polyps and has had a course of antibiotics, nasal sprays etc but following a CT Scan the consultant has said surgery is required to remove the polyps as the treatments haven't shrunk them any.

When going through the risks of surgery the consultant mentioned a very low risk to vision and now my boyfriend is worried about having the surgery done in case he goes blind! Has anyone had this surgery before and able to help reassure us that it's not as scary as it seems? As without surgery they are going to get worse!

Thanks

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

By “consultant” do you mean an ENT?

What did he or she say was the cause of the polyps? Is there an alternative with diet changes? Were you tested for allergies?

I would seek and second opinion from an ENT at least.

• Posted

Yes, it was an ENT consultant. He thinks it may have been caused by allergies that he was unaware he had to animals and dust.

Steps have been taken since last year to try to get rid of the polyps with antibiotics etc but seeing the ENT consultant again he advised surgery is the only way to now get rid of them as his airways are so restricted

• Posted

ENTs are surgeons not consultants.

Still recommend a second opinion. Some of the risks of surgery are understated based on my own personal experience.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

• Posted

I have a inverted papilloma removed from my right sinus , ethmoidectomy , maxillectomy , basically I only have my lower turbinate left on the right side... the surgeon will use a guided surgery  off of a ct scan , basically they will see where their tools are at all times and be very very careful around major landscapes.. I would not worry about he surgery so much,, I didn't even use any pain killers after my surgery of course everyone is different, but yes it is as any surgery a bit dangerous , but the outcome will be well worth it.. a second opinion is always a good idea.. also talking to people that have has the surgery and may be able to recommend a surgeon to you .. Also polyps are caused by constant irritation, that being said you need to have allergy testing done to find out what is causing the irritation or they WILL come back.. now polyp surgery is a little simpler than what I had done they can just use a cutter the cuts them and sucks them in as they go along .. try not to worry with guided surgery the risks are much lower than just going in blind.. I hope your bf has very good results just support him. He will be fine!!  

• Posted

Thank you very much for your reply! This has reassured him.
  • Posted

I had Nasal Polyps about 20 years ago and although one has just returned and burst on it's own accord I was fine with it, very much care is taken of you and I wasn't told this at all at the time.  It is in the ear nose and throat area department, unless the Polyp is extremely large I cannot see how it cannot have any effect on going blind, although I am not a surgeon.  I would go for the surgery definately and get rid of it.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply Alison.

This has now reassured him that he will be ok!

• Posted

I wasn't aware i had polyps but they were removed aling with having septoplast and turbinoplasty plus a cyst taking up 70percent of maxillary sinus gland and the polyps where on other side! I'm two weeks post op and I'm fine

• Posted

How was the surgery is your boyfriend better now ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.