Nasal problems and wearing mask for Covid

Posted , 1 user is following.

I've been having problems breathing fully for a few years. Been using a CPAP for Sleep Apnea for many years. After loosing 80 lbs in 2018, I felt like I could go off the CPAP as my apnea was due to throat, tongue and other "fat person" obstruction. However, now the obstruction was in my nose. ENT said I had enlarged turbinates and said surgery was an option. Looking at the procedure and side affects scared me off.

Tried Steroid spray for a few months with no luck. Using Flownaise helps a bit but I'm concerned about being on it for a long period. Another ENT (2nd opinion) also said surgery was a possibility, but also want me to get tested for allergies. I'm skeptical of this because how could whatever alergin affect me off and on during the day?

What really sucks is feeling like I can't get enough air. Compounding this is wearing a mask. My doctor wrote me a letter, indicating I have a condition and can't wear a mask. In Michigan our dictator governor wants us to wear masks practically 24/7. If I go into a store, they give me static but in the governor's order is a specific exception exempting those with med condition.

Unfortunately, being retired I drive a school bus. I don't do it to pay the rent but because I love it. Sadly, the state education department, under pressure from the governor mandates I wear one and a face shield is not allowed. I'm not even supposed to cheat and have it down slightly under my nose. Worse, I have to be a mask cop on the bus for the kids. I hate it, especially since I feel it is completely useless and politically motivated. How are others dealing with mandatory masks?

OK, long story short, my wife gets a magazine and there was an article about nose dilators, Rather than Breathe Rite strips that stick on the outside and "pull" nostrils open, this very cheap device is a plastic thing that sticks inside. I'm sure it would feel weird but wonder if anyone else has tried it?

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.