Nasty taste and tingly tongue

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was diagnosed with Barrett's around 3 years ago. I have no problems other than acid reflux. I was prescribed omeprazole. These make me feel sick most days. I also have ranitidine, I go between both. Over the past few weeks I have had a nasty taste in my mouth. Any ideas?? I reallly would like to treat this naturally so I don't spend my life feeling rubbish. I have been told I have to tak them. Any help would be so appreciated. I am new to the forum.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lynn

Oftentimes the actual reflux gives a nasty or acidic taste. It happens to me from time to time. Even though you don't feel the reflux burn while on medication, the acid still creeps up leaving a bad taste. It could be the omeprezole in which case you could try a substitute. Reflux is dreadful.

• Posted

Hi Robert, thanks for your comments. I've cut the omeprazole out a week ago and take ranitidine once a day. Any idea how long it takes the omeprazole to get out of your system. how can medication make you feel so horrible. I really would like to have a more natural approach to this. Feeling rubbish every day is not nice

• Posted

Omeprezole lasts up to a week from what I've read online.

Yes there are some side effects being studied for PPIs that include dementia and kidney damage. My GE didn't put much weight into these sighting very narrow patient surveys. He also stated that developing EAC is far worse than the theoretical side effects of PPI therapy.

• Posted

All drs. will back each other and say "U really should take the meds prescibed' better thn the illness (family member is a professor an endocrinologist with very impressive remue and qualifications including ex Chair of AMDA (USA) but when i told all i was concerned I had been precribed cortico steroids, biophosphates, PPi, etc etc for a lot of different ailments all diagnosed over a space of 2/3 months..all she said was..".U should take them all...better to treat condition than worry about side effects'  

• Posted

I know that we all get mad to doctors but what can we do really... They always will have an excuse from their point, you've got the disease then treat it and you can't oppose to them on that one.

The problem here with diseases in general is bad luck. You've got the disease and either you are gonna live with it or you won't. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.