Nasty taste in my mouth which I cannot get rid of

Posted , 6 users are following.

Approx 6 months ago I developed a nasty salty taste in my mouth which seems to eminate from my tongue, I think, I have been to the dentist, no problems there, I have been to the doctor, had blood tests to eliminate anything more sinister, bloods came back fine so what is causing this. I did read somewhere that when going through the menopause, which I am, can cause a lot of things to change in your body, could this be one of them. Also I was told that it could be a sign of not enough Zinc in my system. I would love to hear from anyone else who may have encountered this problem. It doesn't make me feel ill so I do feel a bit of a fraud but it is the most irritating sensation and at its worse it is a real stinging sensation on my tongue. Please let me know if you have any answers, the doctor hasn't suggested anything beyond what he has already told me only that I must live with it

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi! I don't know if i can be help. But how about your food intake? Did you make any adjustments? What did you ate before you noticed that salty taste?

Because, im having this weird tastebuds due to my operation last couple of months ago.

Any meds they prescribed?

Hope you'll be better

Katherinexx

• Posted

Hi Katherine,

​Food intake hasn't changed drastically, about 18 months ago I did go on a diet and lost 3 stone but it wasn't one of these faddy diets it was just sensible eating and cutting out all the wrong things. I am not currently taking any long term medication apart from the odd paracetemol if I get a headache.

Your problem with your tastebuds can sometime be the anaestetic, it can sometimes take a while to get out of your system.

​I hope ift fades in time for you, thank you for your comments though

Katie

• Posted

A number of pills can do that to you. Have you checked the list of side effects?
    • Posted

Hi,

I am not taking any long term medication, I'm not even taking any vitamins. Perhaps that's my problem, I'm deficient in something???

Who knows?

• Posted

I would say it probably comes from your stomach over night as you are having problems with your tongue. You may be bringing up acid in the night while you are asleep and not realising it. (It can be painful, but most of the time it isn't)...just a thought! A good doctor would probably send you for tests in case it turns out to be acid reflux.
    • Posted

Hi,

​I went to my doctor who did 3 blood tests all which came back fine and didn't suggest anything else apart from living with it, not very helpful I know but then I'm not sure he could be bothered to get to the root of the problem. Will look up acid reflux though, thanks for the suggestion.

Katie

• Posted

You're welcome. I know mine is acid reflux as I have a terrible taste in my mouth and on my tongue. Blood tests don't always show up these things. I also have IBS, so that is another illness that can cause it. Any chance of changing to a more sympathetic and helpful doctor? 
  • Posted

Hi Katie,

I would suggest you look on the web for a tongue brush, it is rectangular in shape with plastic bristles and is made for cleaning the (slang "fur" off your tougue). Debris accumulates on the tongue, like most people - but some people it does not disperse off so quickly, hence the foul smell and bad breath.

If you eat spicey foods they will strip your tongue as you get older and you start experiencing a sore feeling. As we all grow old, our taste buds change and also what we can eat also changes, and taking Rennies will not work, because it is more down to acid reflux.

People with dentures are more prone to this problem, because bacteria builds up under the denture.

Hope the explains it a bit better. And, yes I have the same problem and clean my teeth and tongue 2-3 times a day,

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

Hi Les63

​I have tried tongue scrapers and brushes and all this seems to do is make the tongue more sore but does not go anywhere near aleviating the salty, stinging sensation on my tongue, I do not have a foul smell or bad breath just this feeling on my tongue. Perhaps I am just an oddity!!!

• Posted

Hi Katie,

Are you taking any medications? I am on over 30+ tablets a day, which does have many side effects and an horrid taste is one of them. Trouble is I have tried alsorts to get rid of it. but nothing works, someone told me to try Schweppes Peppermint Cordial diluted in water, but that did not work either, that is more for acid reflux I think.

I experiment but I have to be careful with all the meds I am on.

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

Hi Les,

​Alas, I do not suffer from Acid Reflux and I do not take any long term medication as that would at least answer a question. It really is annoying, perhaps the doctor I saw originally was right, its just something I will have to learn to live with.

• Posted

I'd be swishing round a solution of 'Baking Soda and warm water' in my mouth...   Maybe morning, noon and night...   It is a very good antibacterial fighter. Fixes those horrible painful ulcers on the tongue if you apply the powder directly on top of ulcer and hold it on as long as you can bear the stinging...lol...  Ulcer will go over night or in a day or three....  

Baking Soda is natural and a great healing agent...  no harm in trying it..   I do it, for at least 3 times per day for a couple of week to a month and see if you have any results....  

Also look at your diet.  You can even dip your toothbrush in Baking soda and clean your teeth with it, even combine it with tooth paste if you wish to..  And definitely keep up the mouth hygiene...  

Hope it works for you....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.