Nathan

Posted , 7 users are following.

ive had R/a 13 years the only prescribed drug I've taken was hydroxychloroqiune for 6 months which had no effect. The first couple of years I had the odd shot of steroids which was miraculous but when I discovered the side effects of all the ra drugs  I didn't go back that is until a few months ago when my elbow was sooooo bad wrists shoulder that I went to doc for a jab. Unfortunately he had run out and gave me predisilone tablets 40 mg reducing but when I finished cause the pain was back so I ordered more and was not refused. I found 10 mg kept pain to manageable levels along with occasional ibuprofen but after 3 months I thought I've got to give up this drug. 6 weeks ago I cut down and each day I felt worse but I percivered finally got off 4 weeks ago and have been in frantic pain since. My feet ankles shoulders elbows neck wrists etc are far worse than they've ever been. I'm in agony and havnt got out for 3 weeks!!!! Does anyone know if it could be the infmmatory suppressant  effect predisilone. Thank you nathen.

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I can fully sympathise with you Nathan. I've had RA for around 13 years too. I stopped taking DMARDs and steroids in any form more than 6 months ago due to complications caused by another chronic health condition and have gradually gone down hill since. I have serious  pain in all the joints you mention plus my knees, which I rarley had trouble with previously, but they've been so bad this last month or so that I have excruciating pain getting up from sitting and serious problems walking more than 50 yards or so. I rarely  go outside the door these days and when I do, I have to arrange transport. Tomorrow for example - my daughter is taking me to buy a powered riser recliner chair as my knees have become that bad.  Some of my other  joints are getting noticeably more damaged by the month and I'm more than a little worried where all this is going to lead. I'm currently taking slow release tramadol, naproxen and paracetomol, which do help a little but don't slow joint damage and are nowhere near as effective in controlling inflammatory pain like DMARDs were. Rheumy started me on hydroxychloroquine 5 weeks ago, not sure it's helping much yet, but I live in hope. I also wear wrist splints and a thingamybobjig on my right hand to try and slow up deformity.

I mention the above not for sympathy, though a little wouldn't go amiss smile but to point out what can happen to some people, and I emphasise some, if this godawful disease isn't treated effectively. I hate taking meds of any form, especially when I was on powerful DMARDs, but would now take them in a heartbeat if I could as life sure ain't much fun these days!  I think Rowbirdie offers sound advice. I was on methotrexate for 9 years - it seems to be the drug of choice for most folk, and I had no side effects to speak of. My bloods were monitored every month to check for negative symptoms. Do make an appointment to see your cosultant. You can then discuss the pros and cons of different meds and arrive at a decision as to what might be best for you.

Hope things work out for you and the pain eases soon. 

• Posted

Oh dear Tony what a nightmare. I forget to mention my knees which have only stared these past weeks it hurts like hell getting off the chair or even the Lou seat.

why did you have to come off DEMARDs did they damage your body? It seems crazy that you are suffering so badly after years pain free. 

6 years ago I embarked on a natural cure because I felt drugs only store up disease. I used an English program which involved removing all foods that have an acid ash residue after digestion. Epsom baths followed next day shower. Cider vinegar malasses etc it was a slow process but after 8 months I was 80% better I was told I must stay on the program until all symptoms were clear and then for a further 3 months. I cheated and slowly it all came back. 4 weeks ago I've restated the whole procedure I keep reading the testimonials to inspire me. They claim it's all caused by acid and a virus by removing the acid you kill the virus. Some people recover in weeks most take months.

if I take the drugs right now they tell  me the inflammation  detox etc will take longer to work. Catch 22!!!!!

i hope the hydroxichloriquine eases your pain I did once take that drug because I understood it to be the least toxic.

we have much in common yours sincerely Nathan 

• Posted

Don't mention sitting on the loo!!  I've had to buy a frame with a raised seat. sad  

Pity you couldn't stick to that natural cure if it was helping you, but I do understand how difficult it must have been. I couldn't last 8 days let alone 8 months without pain relief and I speak from experience. I tried stopping methotrexate several years ago and ended up in a heck of a mess. I held out for 5 weeks then phoned rheumy begging to have a steroid jab ASAP. 

Intrested hearing about your kidney problems caused by ibrufen. That seems quite a high dose you are taking. Do you have bloods taken on a regular basis to monitor your kidneys. I ask because I take naproxen on a regular basis and am wodering if my kidneys should be monitored?

I gave a brief explanation to one of Rowbirdie's posts above the reason why I stopped taking DMARDs and another type of immune suppressant. 

On a more positive note...I'm extremely fortunate to have an angel of a wife who helps me do lots of things I am no loner capable of doing without so much as a tut...at least I've never heard her tut! smile I would not be able to manage without her.

• Posted

That's a help Tony I'm on my own. All NSAIDs harm the kidneys I now take only 200 to max 400 a day. 
    • Posted

Got my med doses a bit mixed up last night... I've been prescribed 500mg a day of naproxen so maybe 400mg is not particularly high. I try to keep to it down to 250mg because I have a heart condition, but it's not easy.

Steroids are an immune suppressant that's why I can't take them.

Anyone know if kidneys should be monitored if on long term NSAIDs?

• Posted

Hmmm.... you cut down from 10mg to what?

Preds needs to be treated with great respect and cutting down should be slow and sure, 1mg per week, in my book, at least.

If Mrs Mop or Eileen respond, they'll give you more exact reduction levels.

• Posted

Hi Nathan,

The problem with prednisolone is that it treats the symptoms only. Studies have shown that it doesn't change the course of the disease. Only DIMARDS will do this. I too was scared when confronted with these powerful drugs when I was dignosed and cried because I thought my life was over and I would be crippled. My rheumatologist was lovely and said that he rarely saw people crippled with arthritis anymore because of the massive improvement in the drugs available. He talked me through the risks but I know that I couldn't have gone on with the pain as it was. Yes my liver enzymes play up and I have to adjust my meds but I am monitored monthly. All the evidence points to getting the disease under control as quickly as possible so that the joint damage is kept to a minimum. My advice would be to get back in contact with your Rheumatologist, listen to his best advice then once your pain is under control try other things. 5 years on and I'm fitter and more active than I have been for the last 10 years.

• Posted

Sorry to hear baout your problems.  I have never been on predinsone so I don't ahve much information. I am currently on methotrexate and palquinl. I would like to reduce the dosage and gett off meds eventually. Can you give me more inforamtion about the English program that you were on and worked for you?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.