National Contribution Record....???

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was claiming JSA on and off during the 2017/18 tax year and was in receipt of National Insurance contributions only. During the time I was claiming there was many issues and had to contest many attempts by the DWP to deny me access to benefits. Having taken two decisions to the complaints tribunal the rulings were eventually made in my favour and I was backdated the NI contributions.

?Since I didn't actually receive payment I have no way of knowing if I was actually awarded the NI contributions for the dates I was eligible. I have contacted the DWP and requested a statement for the dates that I was credited NI contributions, however, I was told that they cannot do that and that I should contact HMRC. Checking on the HMRC website, it seems  that the information is a year in arrears and only then provides the number if weeks credited.

?Anyone have any suggestions who I should contact so that I can receive a detailed statement of dates that I was credited NI contributions? Is the DWP obliged to provide this information? If so how should I contact the relevant department?

?Thanks

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

DWP can't refuse your request for a detailed statemwnt. I don't understand when you say the your online account states a year in arrears because mine isn't. Mine is spot on and up to date. If you don't get any joy with DWP then ring HMRC to see if they can help you because they will know what was credited and when. Hope you get the answers you need.

• Posted

I have again just logged into my account on the HMRC website. For the 2017/18 tax year it says:

?"Your record for this year is not available yet"

• Posted

Having literally just checked mine and for me it says 2017/18 full year and 2018/19 not yet available. Are you 100% sure you can those years correct? because for the year you say then it should tell you online. If it doesn't then you'll need to ring HMRC because it's the your 18/19 that shouldn't yet be available. 2017/18 should be available.

• Posted

Hi Mark

If you have had to contest the NI contributions it will be the reason they are not showing automatically on your account.

They only show as Denise has said if they were credited with no errors or issues.

It is HMRC who are responsible for overseeing posting of the contributions to your account not DWP , they rely on info from HMRC

You should do ring HMRC and tell them there was an issue around the contributions initially and ask them to chase up the details for you.

All the best

Wendy x

• Posted

Hi Wendy,

Thanks for that. Yes, i thought it seemed strange why it didn't show anything for 2017/18. I thought i was going crazy with my mind so had to look at my own to make sure i was thinking correctly.

Pensions/NI isn't my most strongest point to be honest but i had a feeling it would be HMRC and not DWP.

I'm glad you posted to confirm my advice, thanks once again. Much appreciated.

• Posted

Thanks for all the comments. I shall contact HMRC tomorrow....I'm sure it will not be straightforward!

Just to confirm.... should I be able to see the actual dates of the weeks I was credited?

Thanks

• Posted

No, you won't be able to see the actual dates. It will tell you the amount of weeks only.

• Posted

One last question..... if making regular NI contributions would you expect the NI statement on the HMRC website to update regularly, i.e., weekly or monthly to reflect the NI contributions made?

TX

• Posted

Hi Mark

I would expect the record to update annually as it takes information from the end of year P35 return made by your employer or by DWP in the case of credits for being on certain benefits e.g. Carers Allowance.

Wendy x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.