Natural Blood Thinners

Posted , 2 users are following.

HI, I have been told I come off edoxaban after taking it for 14 months following a DVT.  I am keen to come off as they worry me BUT am now worried that they do protect you from heart attacks and stroke, so wanted to take something that may do the same job apart from aspirin as I suffer with GERD and cannot use aspirin as it hurts my stomach.  I have heard about pineapple and grapefruit, but surely you would have to eat them daily and tons of them to make them work and I am not that keen on either.  Is there any kind of supplement that is safe to use?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Congratulations on coming off the blood thinners. Do you mind me asking why they have decided to stop them?  Another natural blood thinner is garlic and also ginger.  I am a lifer on Eliquis and even thou my clot in my leg is now dissolved (was given a Doppler test 2 weeks ago after 15 months but only because they thought I was clotting again).  Wishing you well for a healthy future.

• Posted

Hi, I was only meant to be on thinners for 3 months, it was extended to 6 months due to the clot not clearing as quickly as they would have liked.  At the same time as having the clot I was being investigated for palpitations and once the haematologist found this out she said I had to stay on the blood thinners until AF was ruled out, it now has been and therefore there is no reason to stay on them.  Trouble is I am used to them now and feel a certain comfort from knowing I am at less risk of further clots, stroke etc.  But do want to come off them as well.  I just wanted to find a way to take a more natural approach to keeping my blood thin.  So I will speak to GP and start taking garlic capsules that seems an easy way to help myself.  Take care
  • Posted

Thanks for your reply.  Drinking beetroot juice is also meant to help.  I am sure your medical team will be able to advise. Wishing you a healthy future.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.