Natural Medicine

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi am new and looking for any information based on results, if possible, for anyone that has had success with combating osteoporosis and osteopenia the natural way.  I have both osteoporosis and osteopenia.   I have just started  taking vitamins k2, magnesium, zinc with copper and D3 after being told I should take alendronic acid, which I refused.  I have no idea what quantities I should take, having just had blood tests and all were normal, (not showing any deficiencies).  I am saving so that I can see a doctor that deals with natural medicines, I cannot find any in my area (South west) and would also be grateful for information reccommending any natural medicine doctors that might be able to assist me further with natural medication.

1 like, 57 replies

57 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Interesting thread.  I would like to suggest that people do the natural thing even if they are taking OP meds, as no harm comes from giving your bones what they need to be healthy!

It sounds like you are doing very well with your supplements.  Don't overdo the supplements though, make sure you get what you need from your diet.  The ones you listed above, with the exception of copper and zinc, are often ones we do need to supplement.  I think it's very hard to balance copper and zinc properly as we need such a tiny amount, and after you finish your current bottle you may want to check your diet and see whether you are already getting enough from your food.

We get a lot of calcium from a balanced diet.  The problem with dairy is that it is an animal product and too much animal protein gives us too much phosphorus and that leads to bone thinning, which is why we must not rely on dairy too much, but find other sources.

The bones in tinned sardines and salmon are good, and there are many plant sources, some of which are more bioavailable than others, so do your homework.  Kale, collards and broccoliaree supposed to be good, some of the other leafy greens like spinach and chard not so much.  

Appropriate exercise also stimulates the bones to get stronger, so walk if you can, take up other activities like Nordic walking, tai chi, whatever gently challenges your bones.  And, if you can, go to a clinic or consult a physiotherapist who will teach you strategies for avoiding falls, and ways to protect your spine.

A friend of mine saw a herbalist and he recommended oat straw.  I haven't tried that yet myself.  This friend went the natural route, moved her DXA scan reading from osteoporosis to osteopenia and continues to improve!  She is my inspiration.

• Posted

Hi Anhaga

?You give so much useful information and I remember you guided me to one or two links via pm in the past. All that was on my last laptop which suddenly died on me and the hard drive was 'fried'. I did however remember the diet advice you gave (as you will see in my post to Ruby (and hopefully Janish will read). I am amazed to read that your friend has accomplished getting her scan readings back to Osteopenia and it just goes to show that if we all pool information how much help we receive on this forum. I am to be referred to a Physio soon and will definitely ask her to teach the strategies to avoid falls and how to protect what is left of my spine (ha ha). There is always a ray of Hope somewhere smile

Regards

Lizzie

• Posted

Elizabeth, surely all your conversations on Patient, and messages, still exist as they are part of Patient, not your computer?  I know that I can still see a pm to you when I go to my messages list.  Of course your bookmarks are gone, sadly.  But then that makes room for new stuff! 
    • Posted

You would think so Anhaga but when I set up my new laptop and tried to access this forum and another I was treated as a new subscriber so I probably mistakenly thought I could not access the older posts. I have a printer now so all links etc I am able to print off and read at leisure. That way I cannot lose anything again! Thanks for your patience smile

• Posted

I shall private message you and let's find out if you get back to your old messages.  If you don't I can copy and paste my original pm to you.

• Posted

Yes I agree with all you have said.  Regarding the oat straw, I have come across this a few times now and will look into it further.  Thank you. x
    • Posted

Thank you for the oat straw tip. I go to a herbalist already for other things and was going to ask her what she could suggest.

Consider adding in Teff grain (really a seed) for extra calcium. I saw a dietician over gut issues and she didn't think I was taking in enough (she was on the dairy thing of course....), as I just use butter, yogurt and a little cheese (no milk). Teff makes very nice porridge and is comparatively high in calcium.

• Posted

Good idea. I'm always interested in things which keep me away from modern wheat, which I seem to have become a bit sensitive to. 

• Posted

Yes, I also avoid wheat - actually don't have any gluten due to gut problems - perhaps gluten sensitivity but a lot else going on like histamine intolerance.

Incidentally, you probably know already, but I heard that K2 is high in cheese - gouda and brie best of all. It's the fermentation process apparently. As I do eat some cheese this is good news!

• Posted

I am finding this discussion very interesting as i have had Osteoporosis for a number of years and have been taking Alendronic acid for years,i have a Dexa scan booked for next week so await the results to decide on what to do about medication.I had a compression fracture in my t7 vertebrae 6 months ago so am quite nervous as to what the scan may reveal.
    • Posted

How many years have you been on AA?  My understanding is that after a certain number of years it's recommended one have a drug "holiday".  AA stays in the bones for a very long time - they've found it present after ten years, and it may stay longer, just hasn't been tested for longer.  I'll see if I can find a reference.

• Posted

Hi Diane, I am sorry that you have had a compression fracture, but this information you have supplied is vital evidence for people deciding on what medication to take for their for osteoporosis.  It helps us all a lot more if you would be willing to share a little more.  Do you know the cause of your osteoporosis e.g mine was estrogen due to early menapause, and were you taking any other medication with the alendronic acid.  Were you taking D3 ( calcichews, vitamin  D3 and calcium) with your alendronic acid, as my doctor says you should, and everything I have read about alendronic acid says the same.  Unfortunately, it looks as though it is not working for you, and as you say maybe look for an alternative.  Anything I can help with I will. xx 
    • Posted

This is extremely interesting and not something I would have found in my efforts to research the ins and outs of taking Bisphonates - thank you for posting it.
  • Posted

Just read through this thread as I too have just been diagnosed with osteoporosis at aged 64, and am looking for natural methods to help. I have no symptoms at all and am farily fit despite having had ME/CFS for 10 yrs + . I hope my good diet is contributing to that, but a bit shocked to find osteoporosis in 2 places (spine and femoal neck at -3.2) and osteopenia in total hip at -0.8.

I have posted about plans to start a rebounder each day, on another thread and interested if others have thought of this. Also I am now trying to get my supplements optimised too to see if that will help. I have been taking magnesium and D3 for years, and a good quality multivit with some of the trace elements. Now adding in K2, and strontium, plus looking at a supplement called BoneUp by Thornes, but need to make sure I don't take too much of some of them. Actually no problem to take too much K2 as non toxic, and D3 within reason. I take 2000iu currently.

I doubt that the NHS will allow a retest if I don't use the drugs, so am planning to pay for a retest in 2 years time. I think it's best to be tested on the same machine, so wonder if the NHS will allow a private payment on it, if they don't let you have it for free.

• Posted

I forgot to say in the previous post that it's possible that I partly caused my own bone density problem by taking too high a dose of thyroid meds. It's a long story that I won't go into fully, but I was on T3/Liothyronine rather than the usual Thyroxine for 4 years, and often it shows a very low TSH, which mine did (below range) but it was only when an endo picked this up that I had the bone scan. I doubt that was the only reason but it may have contributed, and I have now lowered my dosage to be safer.

• Posted

As arthritis prevents me from bouncing much I use a weighted walking vest.  It was originally designed for bodybuilders but the osteoporosis crowd discovered it and recommend it.  You can add small weights over time to make it heavier.  That challenges the osteoblasts to lay down more bone.  In a year I increased my weights in the vest from 5 lb to 8, and I probably could have done it faster but I kind of let it go a bit over the hot summer.  Interestingly after I started wearing it again in the fall I found it much easier to wear, so that tells me my back had been getting stronger all summer!  I think some people also use hand held weights.  I also do Nordic walking and tai chi, both of which appear to help both balance (falling is main cause of fractures) and bone density.  

• Posted

Thank you Anhaga for that idea. I had not heard of the weighted vest and perhaps after I have built up some stamina I could look into that. At the moment it is all new to me, having had ME/CFS I have not been exercising much recently, but I have improved enough that I can take some on luckily.

Luckily also my balance improved over the summer - not entirely sure why, (I did a lot of gardening on our hill but always do!), and I am trying to keep that up! I have hypermobile knees and ankles so they didn't feel very stable before.

• Posted

You can start with as little as a few ounces in the vest.  I started with 5 lb because I had already been lugging 5 lb of ankle weights around in a backpack.  Vest much more comfortable!

• Posted

I thought about a vest, but I generally have a backpack on whenever I go anywhere, and was wondering about the advantage of the vest over that (apart from comfort).
    • Posted

The vest is definitely much easier on my back than a backpack - which I do use for carrying things around rather than a handbag or tote bag.  The vest distributes weight all over and snug to your torso.  I actually find it very heavy to lift to hang up in the cupboard, but am barely aware of it when it's on me.  No dragging on the shoulders, etc.

• Posted

Thanks, that's interesting - especially that it's really heavy, yet when on is barely noticeable. My backpack's a bit like that, especially when I have to carry a load of books, or shopping. It's a real weight to lift, but feels comfortable on. I'm keen to try ankle weights at home and in the gym, but a vest might be good when out and about. Any one that you'd particularly recommend, or are they all much of a muchness?

• Posted

Will private message link.  I had to order it from Texas as there is no Canadian distributor, but well worth it.  I don't know about the rest of the world.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.