Natural remedies for IBS morning Diarrhea??

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi there, can anyone recommend any natural supplements good for tackling morning diarrhea??

I tend to have several movements in the morning and am then fine for the rest of the day. I have already excluded all the obvious from my diet ie coffee alcohol dairy sweetners etc.

x

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi there, sorry to hear about your trouble, i've been there and it's no joke.

Well done for cutting out those potentially triggering foods, but I'm just wondering what you ARE eating in the mornings? It might help me to advise you if I knew.

I found that cutting milk, wheat and coffee was the best thing for my diarrhea, but I now eat natural yoghurt with my breakfast, and this, along with a pint of water, goes some way to help regulate my bowel movements. It's my understanding that yoghurt contains far less lactose than milk after going through the fermenting process, and as it is a probiotic it could help improve your gut health.

Caffeine and sugar can be triggering for me. Peppermint tea is a good, naturally decaf alternative hot drink, which can be good for the gut, and i sweeten yoghurt or gluten free cereal with honey rather than sugar, as honey can have health benefits.

Also, it can take 3-4 weeks after cutting out a triggering food to really start to feel the benefit.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

is that really true that it can take 3-4 weeks of removing a trigger food to make a difference?! id always assumed it should be 24 hours or soon as out of your system???

• Posted

That's the advice I was given at an appointment with a dietician, and I've come across the same info in articles and in forums online. I found with diarrhea the symptoms mostly resolved around 1-2 weeks after removing milk and wheat, but it took longer for me to feel my gut was truly settling.

• Posted

Thats really helpful to know, and probably why i am struggling to work out what my trigger foods are as id assumed every days symtpoms were related to what i was eating on that day.

does the same apply to changing diet then. ie if i followed a strict fodmap diet it could take 3-4 days (or more? ) to see a change in symptoms?

x

• Posted

That's right. But I would recommend that you seek professional advice, as there are so many pitfalls when it comes to finding the right diet.

• Posted

Thank you for this, I have suffered from IBS for probably 15 years, I've tried many diets and seen dietitians. I've always found they concentrate on ways to get the bowl moving. I am the opposite, I wake up at silly o'clock with horrendous diarrhea. Constantly exhausted from lack of sleep. So of course I make myself a strong coffee to get through the day.

Small steps for me off to the supermarket today to buy peppermint tea and yoghurt. No wine for me from now on!! And bring on the coffee withdrawal I'm at the ready.

• Posted

Good for you! It's not an easy road but I really hope you find something which works for you. Keep me posted.

• Posted

Also, try the peppermint tea first to replace the coffee, and then maybe introduce the natural yoghurt a few days later, or when you start to settle a bit.

• Posted

hi and thanks for your replies. i tend to just drink homemade smoothies in the morning - as these cause me less abdominal pains that other foods. so avocados berries coconut milk and some flax seeds. but my multiple toilet habits tend to occur before ive even had any breakfast.

i havent tried bananas actually pippa that might be a good one for me to try x

• Posted

A lot of people find fibre supplements good for diarrhoea. You have to start very slowly though to avoid pain, gas and bloating.

Is definitely takes more than 24hrs to see a difference. My dietician told me at least 3-4 days to get a trigger food out your system

Have you looked at what yore eating for dinner? If the diarrhoea occurs before breakfast then it's most likely what you're eating at night.

• Posted

thanks leeniepie. i will try some supplements slowly. for dinner i just tend to have another smoothie as they cause me the least pain to digest. its so hard to know what causes the problems when it seems like everything x

• Posted

i hate to say this, but those smoothies could be the problem. avocados are high fat which speeds up GI motility, seeds can irritate the gut too (both the flax seeds and the seeds in the berries).

you could try eating a very plain diet for a week to see what happens - by this i mean white bread, pasta and rice, plain chicken and white fish, eggs, cooked low fibre vegetables (no raw veg). no fats/oils, coffee, or alcohol. this is usually the kind of diet that recommended to let diarrhoes settle.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.