Natural ways to reduce high BP

Posted , 5 users are following.

My partner has high BP and has been taking meds for some time.  Something I've never been happy about as they do cause issues and side effects, and he ends up having to take other prescribed meds to counteract them.  On his last visit to the doctor for something unrelated, she took his BP and said it was elevated and upped the dosage of his meds.  I really would like him to look at reducing the reliance on pharmaceuticals and look at other more natural ways of reducing his readings.  For info, we are vegetarian so dont eat red meat or saturated fats and are not overweight.  Thanks for any advice given.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Im looking at natural ways too. Im only 26 years old though and eat super healthy no take out junk food coffee nothing. Im trying hibiscus tea, raw garlic a day, fish oil. Going to start meditating every day as i can get super stressed
  • Posted

Hi Loxie  does he do any excercise a 30 minute walk everyday  should do alot of good I step out of my door walk for 15 mins turn around and home and feel much better when I get back worth a try
  • Posted

Aside from the obvious which you already seem to be doing, you could try Coenzyme Q10, in tests it reduced bp measurably for those with mild to medium hypertension.

Just reading the support forums here you may gather it can take quite some time and a lot of trial and error to arrive at a medication regimen which is able to control BP sufficiently without debilitating side effects.

Because of the long term health risks associated with high blood pressure, unless the doctor is able to identify a treatable cause for the increase I am afraid it is possible your partner will need meds indefinitely.

You do not give your partners average blood pressure, nor say what medicines they are on. Unless their bp is typically very high, which may limit the drugs and thier dose somewhat it may be an idea for your partner to speak to the doctor and ask to explore alternative medications which may have a lower incidence of side effects.

• Posted

Thanks Robert.  I started to do a little online research about BP and it would seem that if you have a healthy lifestyle but still have high BP, there isn't much alternative other than meds but I did see some mention of CoQ10 and I've told my partner to try it.  I take this also as it helps with muscle problems I was left with after taking statins.  My horrific experience with statins has made me very very wary of just pushing down large quantities of pharmaceuticals.  I'm not sure what his readings were nor which specific meds he's on but having to have the dose increased is a little worrying.  He does exercise - he goes swimming several times a week.  He's not able to do any impact exercise as he has an arthritic knee but swimming helps.  Both his parents had high BP but his diet is much healthier than theirs particularly as he eats a lot of fruit/veg and occasionally oily fish but no meat.  I've asked him to very specifically question his doctor on his next visit about taking such high doses and the underlying causes etc of his high BP. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.