Nausea 12 weeks after gallbladder removal

Posted , 108 users are following.

Had my gallbladder removed 12 weeks ago due to pain from 1 large stone. Had the dreaded diarrhea for 8 weeks but has settled. Have the most horrendous nausea I have ever experienced. It's worse in the mornings and I can hardly get out of bed its that bad. Some days it goes by lunchtime and I feel ok and other days it lingers until the evening and then I feel ok. Was back in hospital last week and other than a little gastritis everything is ok. My surgeon said it will go in time. I am just wondering if this happened to anyone else and how long did it take to go. Its starting to depress me now!

7 likes, 598 replies

598 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

hey 2 weeks ago i removed my gallbladder and let me tell you the week of, was horrible i couldnt eat anything. Right now, beginning of the week i thought i was back to normal because i never had any nausea only in the night time surprisingly then again i also have an anxiety disorder so pretty much ALL fears come in the night. But, i thought i was back to normal eating full meals (not full grease, rice and potatoes and chicken mostly), eating cupcakes, chocolate, chips and having my cravings of fast food again, like normal which i wasnt used to since before the gallbladder surgery i was nauseous for weeks. But now it comes the end of the week and my nausea hit me hard last night and pretty much came back this evening. Man, if this is my anxiety i swear, i dont take pills for it, i used to but that was teh major cause of the gallstones and teh nausea was cause of the pills so. But i'm at a loss of what to do, i thought everything was back to normal until the nausea stuck, will it go away any time soon? btw i really dont want to depend on nausea pills constantly thats what i was doing before the surgery and i'm sick of it sometimes it doesnt even work, i was high on zofran in the hospital and surprisingly i never had pain after surgery just nausea sad, is there a way to pass the nausea faster? cause i have a problem HMG COA lyase deficency where i can't just stop eating like a regular person i need to eat breakfast, lunch, dinner and i have to have sugar before i go to sleep (if i dont i get seizures & coma) so might i say i sometimes force myself because my blood and nutrients drop drastically if i just stop eating or start eating less, thus me eating full meals for dinner. Anyways is there a way to pass the nausea faster than they say? surgeon said it would take a few days but honestly seeing this i hope it doesnt take longer than a month. 
    • Posted

Hi there for most the nausea lasts weeks and not months. I was just unlucky and had it and vomiting and diarrhea. Zofran did nothing for me and no prescribed drugs helped. I stopped taking the drugs and Got acupressure wrist bands and ginger tea! Helped more than the drugs. Also anxiety is commonly linked to gallbladder issues and nighttime anxiety is a classic symptom of liver distress. It's to do with your liver which is most likely overloaded with toxins. Try milk thistle extract to detox your liver and it should also help with the nausea. Keep away from the fatty foods for a while until things settle and stick to plain food. You've had an organ removed and your liver now has to adjust to working extra hard without it. You can't just go back to eating everything straight away. It will take time. I'm fine now and can eat what I want but avoid too much fat. I also did acupuncture which really helped and my acupuncturist explained more about the cause of these problems than any doctor. Good luck and I hope it settles down for you soon x
  • Posted

Thank you so much for your replies. It means a lot to me. I will definately think about the acupuncture, I have a lot of faith in traditional Chinese medicine. I've just started to get a bit better, but the process is painfully slow.  Hopefully there will be normal life after the surgery, even if I had to forgo barbecue for the rest of my life. Take care of yourself. Thanks a lot.
    • Posted

No problem. You will get better. It just takes time. You'll be able to eat the Foods you want again. I know so many who were sick afterwards but most recovered. I've spent months thinking why me was it because my gallbladder wasn't inflamed? But I know so many who had bad inflammation and lots of stones and they had a bad time afterward but they recovered. My cousin was like me and had 1 stone and no inflammation and she's great! No side effects and can eat and drink what she wants! All our bodies react differently. Just take one day at a time and try not let it get you down. It's hard not too. I thought I was going to go insane I felt so sick but I'm fine now. Take care and let me know how it's going for you. Xx
    • Posted

Thanks a lot for your support, it means a lot to me. You've been there, you've experienced it and know exactly how it feels. It is indeed an excruciating experience. I'm so glad you're much better now. Life is good if you can eat and have normal appetite.

I've read a study which says that the removal of asymptomatic gallbladder causes these problems, and your body has much more difficult time to adjust. Unfortunately the gallbladder surgery is a plague of our times with hundreds of thousands ops yearly.

As for me, I had two perfect weeks recently, I even ate a pizza with no consequences and started a little bit of jogging and swimming. But since Friday I'm again worse - nausea is back, although not nearly as bad as it used to be at the beginning. What bothers me is a bitter taste in my mouth after waking up in the morning.

I'm taking it day by day. Hopefully full recovery is on the horizon for me in the nearest future. I've had a couple of perfect days in recent weeks, so I'm staying optimistic it will settle down. All I wish is to have every day like the one I ate the pizza and did the jogging. Hopefully it will settle down. Thank you once again for all the kind words! God bless you.

• Posted

Hi I have my gaul bladder removed six weeks ago I feel sick every day an I have days where am sick all da I have been off my work six weeks and was called into meeting today. Bacicly I should be back at work because statistics show that most people go bk after three to four week. Am taking medication for my sickness but doesn't do much good. Anyway the ocaptionl health lady in my worsays am fit to return because basicly am a statistic that should have returned...even though I have a doctors line for another two weeks.
    • Posted

I'm sorry to hear that you've got the nausea. It's so debilitating and there's no way you could work feeling like that. Does your own doctors letter not override the occupational persons. If your doctor says your not fit for work your not fit! Ginger tea and acupuncture and acupressure bands helped me more than any of the drugs. I hope it settles down for you soon. Take care xx
    • Posted

Hi..I had my gallbladder removed 3 weeks ago and I know I'm in no way ready to return to work yet..my GP told me it doesn't matter that it was a laproscopic removal the body still takes it as a shock and needs time to heal..I stayed in hospital overnight and discharged next day feeling tired but Ok.then 48 hours later I was bringing up bile and so sick that my GP phoned me an ambulance and I was back in hospital for 4 days..they suspect stones had blocked liver ducts...anyway 3 weeks on now and I'm feeling better but liver function tests are still not back to normal and I never feel hungry,I'm still suffering abnormal tiredness but can eat without pain 😀...I suffer backache when standing too long and can feel discomfort from behind my scars(especially belly button one) if I lift something that's a little heavy....occasional dizziness too...I know that 3 weeks on I still don't have the energy to stand for 6 hours at work....so don't feel guilty laura everybody is different...for the past 10 months I developed what my doc thought was IBS and got tablets to help and the pain I felt was under breastbone in middle and I didn't feel any pain on the right handside until about a week before my gallbladder swelled up...I have now come to the conclusion that I don't suffer IBS at all and it was the gallbladder manifesting it's problem all along,my gallbladder was full of stones when it was removed ...do I regret having it taken out? No....because I can honestly say the pain experienced during that gallbladder attack was more severe than the pain experienced during childbirth ...and I'd hate to live in fear of another attack like that one 3 weeks ago ever happening again....and the feeling of being able to eat anything again is wonderful...I'd been living on soup,fruit,salad and porridge leading up to gallbladder removal due to digestive discomfort ...when I can shake the tiredness I know I will feel back to normal x

• Posted

• Posted

Hi I had my gall bladder removed in April and was ok until about 6 weeks post op , the nausea was terrible , as soon as waking up I would feel sick , went to my GP who prescribed metroclomide and cyclizine which did help , nausea would last hours or days , then all of a sudden stopped and I was ok for 3 months , unfortunately the nausea has returned not sure why so back on the tablets , wishing I had put up with the stones now 
    • Posted

Hi Elizabeth I'm sorry to hear this. Sounds too familiar. Have they scanned you at all to check for more stones or cysts on ovaries? The cause of my problems was not the gallbladder at all but a large cyst on my ovary which was there when they found the stone but neglected to tell me about until 8 weeks later when I started vomiting and had the nausea. Have you pains anywhere? The nausea medication didn't help me and I went down the alternative road which I wish I had done prior to my gallbladder operation. But like everyone else I believed my doctor and did what I was told to do. Ginger tea helped me and acupuncture and acupressure bands. I have been sick again the last few weeks but the cyst has grown very big and has another cyst growing out of it. It may be nothing to do with your gallbladder at all. Also milk thistle helped me too. The best advise I can give you is to demand answers from your doctors. I stupidly believed all my symptoms were from my gallbladder removal until the cyst partially ruptured and the symptoms stopped only to return some weeks later when the cyst grew again and I got a second opinion from another gynaecologist who told me my symptoms were from the huge cyst on my ovary. I was left for 9 months of hell until this new gynaecologist told me they could drain the cyst something my surgeon or previous gynaecologist didn't even suggest when I was in hospital for 3 weeks last March. My faith in the medical profession has been greatly diminished because of all of this. I'm 12 days post cyst aspiration something that should have been done 9 months ago. Unfortunately we need to be assertive and ask questions from doctors which is hard to do when your feeling unwell and vulnerable. Also look into post cholecystectomy syndrome something a high percentage of people who have their gallbladder removed suffer from. Another thing doctors won't tell you about. I hope you find out what's causing the nausea and you get treated soon. Take care xxx
    • Posted

Hi , thanks for the reply.  I had a follow up endoscopy and ct scan but nothing was showing up that would or could cause the nausea , thankfully I am having a couple of days reprieve, I had a total hysterectomy many years ago so nothing to do with that area, but thanks for the advice, I do take milk thistle supplement and watch what I eat , if I had known the possible outcome I doubt I would have had the op done , hope you get better soon x
    • Posted

Glad to hear you feel better the last few days. I agree with you about the operation. I would not have had it done either. Have them check your hormone levels in particular your estrogen and progesterone levels. Not sure if you still have your ovaries but hormone imbalance is usually the main cause of gallbladder problems. A lot of women have had hysterectomies prior to or within a number of years of gallbladder removal and it's all connected to the liver being overburdened with hormones. Doctors know what cause gallbladder problems but opt to remove the organ. Once you start having problems after the surgery they don't want to know. They will never admit they made a mistake either. As my gynaecologist said to me recently you have a pain under your ribs and they do a scan and find a gallstone. They remove the gallbladder and hope for the best. Sometimes they get it right and sometimes they get it wrong!! Was shocked to hear a doctor admit this but he is so right. They do not look at the whole body either only their area of expertise which is why so many people are operated on unnecessarily and put on medication unnecessarily. We have too much faith in our doctors and need to realise it's our bodies and that these doctors are working for us. Am dealing with doctors for over 20 years and always took what they said as gospel. This whole mess has really made me realise you have to assert yourself and do your research before allowing anyone remove any of your organs and also get a second and third opinion too. Hope your nausea settles for you soon. Take care xxx
    • Posted

Hi.  Nothing to do with ovaries as they were removed with hysterectomy , I am due to see my GP on Monday for blood results and I will also be asking questions, a little late in the day really should have done that before op but was assured by surgeon that there would be no after effects , that was bit of a pork pie I think , you take care x
    • Posted

Hey Elizabeth20 I sympathize with you. I had my gallbladder out Jan 2 2017 and have suffered ever since. Nausea, pain in the upper right area of my stomach, bloated stomach,vomiting and itchy skin. I've had 2 cts of my liver an endoscope and a colonoscopy. So frustrating!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.