Nausea after knee replacement

Posted , 12 users are following.

This is a topic I keep forgetting to address,  don't know why though ,because I am nauseous everyday.  I have to force myself to eat .  I only take pain meds before PT which is 3x a week.  that's 6 a week.  I know they can cause nausea.  anyone else experience this and are you finding any relief somehow?

I will be 7 weeks out from total knee replacement

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi I'm 11 weeks post TKR, I've lost 19lbs in those 11 weeks, I've no appetite at all, the Gp said it was my pain meds , I cut down on them after a few weeks but had a manipulation last Tuesday and I'm back to square 1 with pain so on them again I take Meptid and paracetamol and if pains really bad Oxynorm. Hope you feel better soon x

• Posted

Hi. I didn’t want to eat much for about 6 weeks. I also didn’t want some of my favorites. The pain meds do that.  I also think the trauma the body goes through has something to do with it.  Eat some amounts often and you’ll eventually get your appetite back. Good luck
    • Posted

Gotta be more than the meds. I'm approaching 5 weeks post op & I've been off the oxy for a week now- still feel lousy. Someone said pain/ ache can cause this. I have a constant dull ache I still have deal with. Any thoughts out there?

• Posted

Pain meds and just being physically drained after this durgery caused not only nausea but I did not want to eat!
  • Posted

Wow...this is a new one...  If you were nauseous after taking your pain meds, then, bingo, you figured it out.  But nauseous ALL THE TIME???  Yes, these drugs have a half-life so depending on what you are taking, it can stay in your system longer and might be the cause of the problem.

In any scientific experiment, you only change one variable at a time to see its effect on your hypothesis.  Try this...stop the pain meds for 3-4 days, let them pass from your system.  Rely on OTC ibuprofen. Yes...more temporary pain, but if the nausea stops, you will have identified the cause.  If it doesn't, then something else is going on.  Then again, is this nausea recent or did it start when you first started taking the pain meds?  If the latter, you probably needed different meds all along.  If recent, then the cause is elsewhere.  

I NEVER get nauseous and I'm 70...never...  Well, except for one time only.  Rushed to the ER for what I thought was my 3rd (out of 4) kidney stone...but I also felt nauseous.  Never felt that way with any previous kidney stone event.  Found out that I wasn't experiencing a kidney stone...it was a gallbladder issue...had to come out.  The symptoms were identical except for the added nausea.

I'd be my own science experiment and try a few things to isolate the cause of the nausea.  Discuss it with your doc.

• Posted

I don’t feel nausea right after the pain meds.  It kind of creeps up on me, and all of a sudden i feel it

Right after surgery and for 2 weeks after i was taking more pain meds than now, and had less nausea

• Posted

That was an easy solution for me as I am a cancer survivor as well as a pkr patient. When I had cancer I would take Phenrgran for nausea and I never threw up even once during my 6 months of chemotherapy . I take the generic now as it’s cheaper and works as well . I took it if I had to take two hydrocodones at once . You will sleep like a baby as well . It completely takes care of the nausea but be prepared to sleep for at least 6 hours afterwards.
    • Posted

Wow, helps nausea and puts me to sleep?.  That's my kind of drug. I’ll talk to my doctor about it.  Thx!,,

• Posted

You are very welcome . After taking Phenergan( generic:promethazine )find your favorite blanket or comforter and curl up with it and watch a good movie or read a good book until you fall asleep!
  • Posted

Take phenagren for the nausea . It will cure it . 
  • Posted

What drug are you taking? I recently went off Tramadol as other meds were making me sick so I stopped everything (cold turkey) and the past week I have not been able to keep down food, which I believe is the withdrawal. I lost 10pounds in 7 days. Today is the first time I have been able to eat a bit so far without issue. Since you only take it for PT you body maybe going through withdrawal. You might need to take on a regular schedule spacing out dosage until you wean off of it. Good Luck.
    • Posted

Percocet.  I have tramadol also,but i dont take it. It never helped the pain. I take 2 percocets on mon wed and fri.   I cant believe im having withdrawal but anything is possible
    • Posted

Also, you might try talking to your pharmacist, if you've built a relationship with one.  ALWAYS a very good idea.  They are waaaaay better at knowing what works with what as well as the interactions (bad ones) between the drugs.  We've had docs prescribing stuff for my wife that would have interacted with her current panel of meds that would have put her in the hospital.  Really...true.  We ALWAYS check for interactions online and then talk to our local pharmacist or others(*).

PS: You may be feeling a light "withdrawal" because you are using the drug "roller coaster" style.  All drugs have a half life.  For Percocet, it's 3-4 hours.  That means when you take it, the very powerful effects of the drug kick in quickly.  However 4 hours later, only half that power is still there...four hours later, another half of the half is gone (1/4 power).  You avoid this by taking the meds every 4 hours so the painkilling effect of the oxycodone stays constant in your body.

When you take it on Monday and then wait until Wednesday for your next dose, you've done two things: 1. By Wednesday, there's no oxycodone left in your bloodstream; and 2. You got that immediate pain relief on Monday and then came crashing down when there was no more intake of the med the rest of Monday and all of Tuesday.  This isn't necessarily bad and some people feel this effect more than others.  Just understand what's happening so it doesn't upset you.

(*) Others: I was married to a pharmacist for 25 years.  My current wife was a psychiatric nurse for 30 years.  My cousin has been an ER doc for almost 50 years.  One of my best friends has Ph.D.s in chemistry, pharmacokinetics and pharmacy.  Yeah...we get our info straight from the best sources on the planet.

• Posted

This sounds like withdrawal, i never thought I would experience it but it is real . You need to use it continuously spaced out and then wean yourself off of it gradually. Speak with your doctor of how to do it safely 

Good Luck 

• Posted

Chico Marx

you are a plethora of information.  and I mean that in a good way.  thanks for your info.    By the way,  I am 68 years old.  was very active, and hope to be again.    I was 105 lbs and now 99 lbs.  I was very active and plan to be again.  I'll talk to my pharmacist.  she's very approachable.  thx again.

• Posted

"Plethora" is my middle name...  There are people who might take one 5/325 Percocet, get relief and it's done.  If someone takes a big dose, like two 10/500's, that's a different story.  Big relief then big crash.  I have great discussions with my friend with all the PH.D.s about all this stuff.  I've had 30 general anesthesia operations in the past 18 years (mostly minor stuff) so I've learned a lot.  Plus my wife of 8 years had brain aneurysm surgery in 2010 and the drugs we've been through for her have been a revelation.  It's just personal experience and a wealth of information that my brain seems to just store somewhere.  That's why no one will play Trivial Pursuit with me...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.