Nausea after three weeks

Posted , 5 users are following.

It has been over three weeks, and I am still having nausea. Any Idea as to when it should let up? I stopped cold turkey off 7.5 after years of taking it.

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

• Posted

Oh, David, I wish someone could tell you. I know of one lady, Margaret, who is suffering 5 months out with nausea and other symptoms. That's why I suggested you go back on to 7.5, stabalize, then start dosing down by dropping one dose a week for a few weeks, or longer, if need be, then 2 days a week, not together, etc.

I feel for you and wish we had a solid answer.

• Posted

Hi David,

So sorry to hear how you're suffering. I agree with Kathy to go back to the 7.5 dose, stabilize and titrate in small increments, dropping a dose weekly or every other week.  I haven't titrated off Mirtazapine. I did titrate off Clonzapam (a bensodyazapine which causes dependance) - I tried twice unsuccessfully hbecause I went too fast, the final time worked. I had numerous withdrawal symptoms and almost gave up.

Everyone is different as are our reactions to meds. I wish you the best.

• Posted

Thanks for the advice. Ladies, I have had the last three nights with good sleep, I am past the crying episodes, the headaches are almost gone, and the anxiety has eased a little. The thoughts of starting over because of nausea is going to take some thought. Also, I have been at the same weight for a week. You two are kind for offering the advice. This is my second attempt. The last time was last summer, titrated down from 45 mgs after about 8 years of use. It was a disaster, following my PCP's calendar for getting off drug dependency. Right now, if I could get a grip on the gastrointestinal issue, I would feel better about winning this war, and not just losing another battle.
    • Posted

You can still win the war, David. I believe it was wrong for a dr. to tell you to just stop at 7.5 without tapering down over many weeks. That's where your nausea is coming from. And it's difficult to say how long it will last. I wish you the best.

Sometimes, we just refuse to give in because we feel as though we fail, but that is not the case with mirt. It has to be done a certain way, and, even then, you will have symptoms, just not nearly as bad as stopping cold.

• Posted

Kathy, I may have mislead you. The second time, I went off the 7.5 myself. The first time, the doctor stopped at 15 mg. My GI doc put me back on at 7.5. I made a mistake in thinking since it was 1/2 the strength of the first go round, it would be better. And, if it doesn't easeup in a few days, I will follow your plan. I literally HATE this stuff, and would rather not, if at all possible, never put another one in my mouth!
  • Posted

Hi David ,I genuinly sympathise with you.  I felt exactly like you last night, nausea,extreme Stomack pain, and just generally really unwell, my husband spent most of the night up with me,I took more sleeping pills than I should,and I still only had two hours sleep.  And I haven't Totally WD yet so I'm expecting more to come.

But like you Im determined to get off this drug.  Am I right in thinking you come from the U.S. when I started withdrawing I had a lady called Rose from the U.S. and she was way in front of me WD and it took her about 3mths when she had completely withdrawed and she said the last time I spoke to her she still wasn't completely feeling well.     So I think for people like me and you with IBS is going to take a lot of pain and strength.   Now I know your a Christian so be strong think of your wife and pray hard. 

I'll say a prayer for you tonight, so will you please say one for me.  Take care and be strong.

• Posted

First, God Bless You Norma! And yes, I live in Virginia, at the North Carolina line, near the foot of the Blue Ridge Mountains. I just told my wife that if I could get a grip on this abdominal pain and nausea I would be a lot closer to the finish line. I have had 3 decent night's sleep, not normal, just about 5 hours worth each night. After all the investigating, I am not going to try to estimate how long this will go on. I am just going to go one day at the time. My wife has been up with me on my bad nights as well. I was given well meant advice to start back at 7.5 and gradually start over, since I started cold turkey this time. I don't see that happening unless there is no way out of it. While my wife was sitting up with me, I promised her that I would never put another mirtazapine in my mouth. I am going to try to live up to that promise! I am 3 days into my 4th week being off the last pill.

Yes, I am a Christian and will ask our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ to have mercy on you and your loved ones and send His healing power into your body. I wish you the best in getting to the light at the end of the tunnel. Regards, David

• Posted

Thank you David,things can only get better,you've gone this long suffering,if you go back up,believe me you will only go through it all again. Hopeing you have a good night,  God Bless.
    • Posted

And a restful, peaceful, comfortable, painfree night for you as well.
    • Posted

Hi, I was only on 3.5 mg for sleeping as I had an over active thyroid which was messing with my eating/ sleeping. I did not like it so stopped after 2 months, I had nausea for a couple of weeks and trouble sleeping for a couple of nights until I started taking magnesium citrate just before bed which really helped. My appetite and sleep in fine now 6 weeks later and has been from 2/3 weeks. Things will get better :-)
    • Posted

Thank you, calissa. Every bit of encouragement is appreciated. Sleeping is better, appetite still bad, as is nausea, fatigue, weak, tired, and a general sense of feeling sick. I hope and pray that things will resolve in the not too distant future. Thank you again. David
    • Posted

Hi David had a really good nights sleep last night,but I'm still worried about feeling as ill as I did Friday so I've decided to stay at the dose Im at for awhile to see if my Tum settles down a bit.  I have my first appointment for my hypnotherapy Tuesday and he is also a Gastrologist so I'll have word with him ,just get his oppinion.  Keep strong things can only get better.
    • Posted

Norma, I had an awful night, I slept about 2 hours, and was, and still am, sick as a dog. I had a crying spell this morning, and awful abdominal spasms. I am worried also, that this isn't getting any better. I had a couple of decent days, but yesterday and last night were really bad. The IBS isn't helping any.
    • Posted

David, it may get worse before it gets better, and, as I said, no one can give you a time when it gets better. From all I've read, the people who stop suddenly have it the worst. If you can ride it out, go for it. But it's not failure if you have to go back on and slowly reduce weekly or bi weekly or however long it takes. I hate to see you suffer like this.
    • Posted

Kathy, I may have to do that, but if I can make it the rest of the way like I'm going I'd hate to lose the almost 4 weeks that I have suffered with this. I keep hoping that the next day will be better. The main reason that I stopped the way that I did was because I have a heart rhythm problem, and the side effects of Remeron were making the heart problem worse. I take 2 heart medications, and the remeron was keeping them from giving me the full benefit. I am more afraid of the heart problem than of the withdrawal symptoms. Which makes this whole mess even worse.
    • Posted

Wow, you are in a pickle!!! I am out of suggestions. Good luck to you, David.
    • Posted

Norma, please continue the prayers. The only way that I am going to make it is with God's help. The Bible says that God won't put more on you than He will help you deal with. My faith in that statement is what is keeping me going.
    • Posted

Oh David I wish I could wave a magic wand and just make all this go away for us both.  Like you say I think us Haveing IBS does,nt help,but I've heard people WD who don't have IBS and have Stomack pain, so for me and you its a double whammy.  I don't know where we are time wise with you, but here it's Sunday Evening.  

I should get yourself to the GP as soon as you can and get some help,see if he can give you something to help you WD.

i really do empathise with you David,I'm in a crying state today,that's through trying to tell my husband how I feel,and it ended in an argument.   I believe people say they understand you but no one can unless there experiencing what you are. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that ,but you know what they say,you should walk a mile in my shoes to understand!!  Over time he's had a lot to cope with with my health so I can sort of understand him loosening patience now and again.

Anyway back to you,what we gonna do with you.. If your getting to a stage where you can't cope please get some profestional help. People on here including me can only understand we can't help in any other way.

i really wish I could do more,promise you'll seek proper help David.

In the meantime I'll pray with all my heart we'll come through the other side of this.  God Bless David hope you get a good night tonight.xx ( hope your wife don't mind me sending you kisses and a Big Hug lol )

• Posted

I just sent my doctor and e-mail.
    • Posted

Good David, keep us in touch,I'm willing him to give you some help.

Take care 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.