Nausea and burping in morning

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi so the past two mornings I have woken up about 5 with what I can only describe as an empty bloated stomach when I got up I started burping really bad and gagging as if I was going to be sick nothing came up just more and more wind. I do burp all day but the past two morning have been particularly bad also have chest tightness. I burp every few seconds didn't kbow could create so much wind really getting me down

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hello Lynsey, what an awful thing for you. Things like GERD, hiatal hernia, IBS, H. Pylori, bacterial overgrowth in the dueodenum and more can and do cause this degree of wind trouble for many - including on empty stomachs, in the night and upon waking. You are definitely not alone in this. Some find that when they've eaten a little, the burping eases. Certain foods produce more gas than others too during digestion. Intolerances to gluten, fructose, lactose and artificial sweeteners can also cause more gas. Do keep your doc on the case to see if any specific cause, or causes, might be found. There isn't a specific treatment unless the source is known. Do you find it's worse after specific foods?
  • Posted

Hi lynsey:  I'm sorry to hear your having this problem.  It can be very frustrating.  Like you mentioned, where does all this air come from.  Basically, it usually comes from undigested carbs reaching the small intestine where it begins to decompose and supports a lot of bad bacteria which makes gas as they multiply.

There are only two ways for air to get out, either burping it out or out the other end.  When it comes out as a burp, it can mean that the problem is early in the digestive process, either in the stomach or the small intestine.  I am guessing that it is happening in the small intestine since it is causing the bloating.  The small intestine is not designed to have air in it.  It is quite long, around 22 feet.  So, if just a little gas is created in the 22 feet, it takes up a lot of space, bloating.  So, the first thing I would do is get rid of the bad bacteria.  When this happens to me, I take Pepto Bismol.  3 doses of 2 tablespoons or 2 tablets every 3 hours.  Just 3 doses.  That will get you to a fresh start.  Then you will need to eat some probiotic yogurt (1 tablespoon) every 2 waking hours for 2 days or until you get some relief.  If you continue to have some gas issues you will need to add a probiotic capsule twice per day.

Basically, bad bacteria makes a lot of gas, good bacteria does not.

You could have picked up the bad bacteria in a number of places, even unwashed lettuce or salad.  Or maybe at a restaurant.  Or contamination from raw meat.

Let me know if you have any questions.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply I wil try your suggestions and hopefully wil help me a bit. This all started for me when I started taking iron tablets prescribed by my doctor for anemia so I thought it was the tablets that were causing it so I cut them down to one a day but didn't help any.
    • Posted

Normally, I would have asked about any new medications, so that does make some difference in my advice.

Before doing the Pepto treatment I would consider the cause to be more likely the iron supplement.

Here are the possible side effects of iron supplements:

Early symptoms of iron overdose

Diarrhea (may contain blood)

fever.

nausea.

stomach pain or cramping (sharp)

vomiting, severe (may contain blood)

Since this is a supplement and not a critically needed drug, you should consider stopping completely until you recover.

Then in a few weeks when you are well you can start again at a smaller dose always with food and not near bedtime.

What do you think about this?

• Posted

I was given the iron tablets as I was really anemic I have been taking them for 2 months but have to take them for another 2 months as doctor says my iron stores need to be built up again.
    • Posted

You are in a difficult position, since you need the iron, but you can not take the tablets because they will make you sick.  You should talk to your doctor and see if he/she can help.  Perhaps weekly injections would be approved.
  • Posted

Hi Lyndsey I'm having the same issue, however I have a sore throat with it. Have you moved your pillows up so your heads higher than your body?
    • Posted

I sometimes have the sore throat aswell or when I burp I feel a kind of fizzing or burning at back of throat. I tried propping My pillows up last night but gave up when couldn't sleep
    • Posted

Yes I am exactly the same. Such a nightmare.mi fall asleep on my propped up pillows and slip off them during the night sad x
    • Posted

Do you burp all day it's constant for me wether I've eaten or not altho is usually worse few hrs after food. I also get sharp stabbing pains in chest back and stomach
    • Posted

I burp a lot more than I used to. I start burping before I finish my food and most of the time I can feel the food coming back up. It's a nightmare. I'm hating life. Shouting doesn't help my pain either and I'm a teacher so it's compulsory to shout quite often. I am still living in hope the ppis will work more. I've been on them over a month and not much change. Diet has helped more than anything but I can't seem to pick out what's making my reaction come back. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.