Nausea and diarrhoea after gallbladder removal

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I had my gallbladder removed in July 4th. For about a fortnight I felt fine, but this past two weeks have been awful with nausea. It's definitely worse in the morning, sometimes I feel fine by teatime,it sime days it lasts all day. And then yesterday I started getting  loose bowels, this morning I've been three times, each time diarrhoea.

im taking omeprazole and cyclizine. I'm due to go on holiday in four weeks but feel awful. Has anyone any suggestions please. Thank you. 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I would get yourself checked out by your GP. It could just be a tummy bug, if you have been alright up till now. I am the other way to you - had my op three weeks ago today, and only go every two days! But it's okay! 

• Posted

You don't mention diet. Are you eating a low fat diet, avoiding alcohol and spicy foods and eating smaller meals? If not, you need to look at diet. During the  first few weeks after surgery, it's important to pay special attention to what you eat.  The surgeons tell you you don't need a gallbladder and can eat 'normally' after cholecystectomy, but it depends on what they call 'normal'. Spoke to a friend who had her op over two years ago and she still can't eat eggs, cheese or anything fatty. Other people I know have no issues at all, so it is an individual thing. Think what they mean by 'normal' is the eatwell plate, which is how we should all eat, but most don't. I can eat a poached egg, but not two poached eggs. I can't eat more than a large slice of pizza and struggle with spicy foods such as chilli and curry.

Surprisingly, gradually increasing the amount of fibre in your food can actually help. The reason is that the liver continues to produce bile, but because the gallbladder has been removed, there's nowhere to store this bile, so it's constantly dropping into your intestines and causing problems. Fibre helps soak up excess bile. This worked for me. (It also helps with constipation by stabilising the digestive process!) I am 5 months post op and was taking Omeprazole, but GP has now taken me off it. You are at an early stage of recovery, so it may just be that you need a higher dose. I was on 40mg a day, which is a very high dosage. You could ask your GP?

Hope this helps. There is so very little information given to patients these days. They perform the surgery, you're discharged, then it's left up to the patient to recover and you can feel very lonely and isolated.

• Posted

I've been following a very low fat diet since the surgery. In fact I have very little appetite at all. You are right though, my surgeon says I can eat anything but I know I can't. I'm finding tiny meals suit me best right now. 

I was already on omeprazole, I've been taking one morning and night. Surgeon added maalox plus, which I'm using, but seeing no difference. 

Thank you for your suggestions, I appreciate them. 

• Posted

Hi Jane,

Sick of Waiting's advice is very good. But sometimes, the liver continues to put out more bile than taking fibre can handle.  If you modify your diet and you still have nausea and diarrhea with yellow fluid around your stools there is also a medication you can be given to absorb the excess bile.  

Let me know if you would like me to e-mail you privately with the name of it.  Most gastroenterologists are familiar with it.  xx

• Posted

Linda, I'd appreciate the name of anything that might help. Thank you so much for answering. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.