Nausea and pain for 2 years!

Posted , 1 user is following.

Two and a half years ago I sarted feeling nausea that developed into a pain that went from my sturnum to the back (between the shoulders). Since then I have periodic nausea and stomach pains including headaches and occasionally dizzy spells.

I have had two breath tests for HP, a recent blood test for HP, two Ultra sound scans for gallstones etc, a barium meal follow through and a blood test for coleac disease and a liver function and kidney blood test - all NEGATIVE!

I have also been to a nutritionist who prescribed a diet and numerous pills that did nothing.

I recently began a course of Omaprozole (nexium 40mg per day) and for the first week my symptoms actually improved, but after week I started feeling sick again wth the usual abdom pains and subsequent worries.

I feel absolutely dispondent, I describe my experience as contantly walking in a shadow of pain with little beleif in hope for a pain free future. I carry the constant fears that this is or may be developing into something terminal.

My doctor is also confused and is to refer my to a gastroenterologist. Unfortunately (and this is the biggy!) I have a phobia about chokeing and as such the though of having an endoscope absolutley terrifies me - I just cant do it! I have spoken to numerous people and most reports are not good, 'like drowing alive' is one that sticks in my mind! even with the sedation I feel I am unable to do it.

My long journey in the shadow continues....

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Don't worry about the endoscopathy- you can be sedated to the point you will feel nothing- go for it- its better than the discomfort!86h
  • Posted

Don't worry about the endoscope, I've had 2 now & whilst its not exactly fun, it's not too bad. Just bite on the mouthpiece, breath through your mouth & think of somethng else. I keep time with my feet to music in my head & look at my insides on the monitor! I've now had 3+ years of agony with HP although only diagnosed earlier this year! Was originally told it was my pancreas but they never found anything wrong with it! Had x-rays, ultrasounds & CT scans. Lots of pain, nausea, vomiting, flatulence, diarroeah? the runs! very regularly & had lots of anti biotics which have been as much use as a parachute in a submarine! Am totally naffed off with suffering & have even given up alcahol for quite long periods of time. Waste of time as it makes no difference whether I booze or not! I'm beginning to wish they'd take my stomach out & replace it with a plastic bag! Joking aside, I'm seriously concerned that its going to turn into something even nastier!
  • Posted

Yes you definately need a gastroscopy,, as above says,, it aint bad at all smile

I myself was shocked when i seen what was lurking in there, hope you are too (because then youll know what causes,,).

Best wishes

• Posted

:Don't be afraid to have the endoscopthy... I'm the worlds biggest baby when it comes to anything medical...honestly I was nearly wetting myself when I was preparing to have it...& what an anticlimax..honestly ..nothing to it...and what's the alternative...suffering!!...my positive state of mind made me go through the experience without discomfort and pain ..and if I have to have anotherone I will now gladly go without hesitation..so don't listen to the 'frighteners' of this world..try it yourself first & then draw your own conclusion..... : :D
  • Posted

Hey I've also got a phobia of choking (and vomiting) I've had HP bug since december 08, had two lots of combination thearapy which didn't work at all.

I was referred onto a consultant who recommended either a 3 month trial of lansoprazole or a gastoscopy... I chose the medication!

What a waste of time...

I had to go back to my GP and hurry a gastroscopy up because the medication wasn't working well... so I had mine on June 4th .

The staff are excellent, they really know what they are doing and do their best to reassure you. I had sedation because I was terrified... it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, its unpleasant but it doesn't last long. And for the sake of 5-10 mins, its better just to put up with it and get treatment for HP than go on and suffer with it.

They took a few biopsies of my stomach lining (which was uncomfortable but not overly painful) and I get the results in 2 days... which I know is just going to say that I still have HP and I need more antibiotics rolleyes

• Posted

Ive ben struggling with upper abdo pain and extreme nausea for about 2 years now. I feel sick all the time. Its got so bad that ive even though about suicide on occasions. My doctor has prescribed these drugs today and after taking just two I started to feel a little worse. Could this be due to the drugs? I think he is just guessing at what may be wrong as i have had no investigation other than a stool sample ps. I also have an extreme phobia of being and feeling sick. I cant sleep or eat at the moment and this is really starting to control my life.
  • Posted

When I first found out I had h pylori they did an endoscopy but they put me to sleep. I have been dealing with this pain for 3 years. I went to a gastrenologist in March only to find out I still had h pylori. This doctor said I never got rid of it the first time. Finding out is worth it so you can get better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.