Nausea and vomiting

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all,

I've suffered with IBS for over 10 years. It's evolved from IBS c to d. Last year the nausea symptoms really kicked off. I lost a stone as I was vomiting anything I was putting into my stomach. Even water. Having had an endoscopy a few years previous and told it's just IBS and to live with it I was nervous about going back to the doctors. However I did and had the full range of tests; bloods, stools, colonoscopy, gastroscopy, lactose intolerance, bile re-absorption etc etc. my gastroenterologist has officially diagnosed me as IBS d. 

I have all the symptoms, the full array of the Bristol stool chart in one day, constant cramping and pain, constant bloating ---> lots of wind (both ends). All the classics. But the one that get's me the most and leaves me unable to do a single thing is the nausea and vomiting. Sometimes this affects me everyday, sometimes it'll affect me once a week. I was on Domperidome (currently swapped to Ondansetran due to being put on Amitriptyline - for gut reasons (low dosage) - will be going back to it soon. Which is really great, and has helped massively. But I do still suffer.

During a flare up it often starts as cramps in my gut then waves of nausea in my stomach. Which deepen quickly and usually ends in me vomiting. which does help, but obviously you don't want to be vomiting everyday. Whilst this is all happening I develop a temperature, i feel light headed and extremely exhausted. I cannot do anything, I have to lie down/be sick. Which obviously on a daily basis at work is impossible, as is taking time off. If I take a tablet this usually eases after an hour. I will still feel nauseous and unable to eat, exhausted and my stomach is tender, I struggle to walk as each step pulses waves of nausea and my stomach is so clenched and have zero strength. The only thing that helps is sleep, rest and water.   

If this happened once a month I'd be able to cope with it, but when it's almost everyday it's crippling me. I work as a freelancer so taking days off means I don't get paid but also struggling with this means I don't get re-employed because there are physically fit people who are actually capable of completing a working day. 

Just wondering if anyone else suffers this symptom as it seems rarer than the others and if they have any remedies? 

Please note I take mebeverine, paracetamol on a daily basis. Colpermin, Imodium when needed. 

I take probiotics everyday and have done a lot of tests with my diet (fodmap, lactose and gluten) - of course there are triggers but these symptoms go well beyond food as I can eat a banana and throw it up. 

Naturally tiredness and anxiety hugely affect it. 

Any tips and hints would be much appreciated. 

Thank you!

2 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I used to have nausea with my IBS but never vomiting. It has happened when my flare ups have been severe. The odd time they have been severe, I have had exhaustion after the pain subsides.  I mainly have IBS C but I have also had IBS D due to stress. IBS doesn't always stay the same. Buscopan, Nurofen,Imodium and sometimes codeine help me during flare ups.  However, the one thing that keeps my symptoms in remission, is trying to avoid situations that I know will cause me stress.   

However, if you end up in a situation that you know will stress you, take your antispasmodic before a flare up starts and this will help to control it better.

• Posted

Hi Pippa,

Thanks for your reply. I agree with the stressful situations and I've changed a lot of things in my life to try and minimise that. But it's not impossible to avoid stress. It just feels so random these vomiting flare ups, tiredness does affect it. But most of the time there is no rational explanation. 

• Posted

IBS can be very unpredictable and can strike for no apparent reason.  Last week  I was nauseous and off my food.  I put it down to pre period symptoms and having the cold. However, this week my cold and period are almost at an end now and I have had stomach pain and nausea again. I haven't been stressed but I have been over tired so I think my IBS has crept up on me again without me realising because I have had a long remission.

• Posted

Hi Pippa, a few weeks ago I had similar. I had the flu for a week, but symptoms either side for a month. I remember when I used to be able to fight colds off in a matter of days! Now I think my body is too weak. Even though your cold and your period is almost over, your body is still under stress. Do you take anti sickness meds? I'm thinking about having the coil to see if that helps relieve symptoms during my period because it's always worse. Might pop a up post about it actually, see if anyone's noticed it helps.

• Posted

My nausea isn't frequent enough to need any medication. When I get nausea I treat it with small sips of milk which settles my stomach.   I try to stay away from medications as much as possible unless I really need them.  My stomach is very sensitive to side effects.  I saw your post on the coil but to be honest I think you are better not to interfere with your hormones.

• Posted

You are not alone Victoria...I too am like you although I do not throw up. I have had IBS for 34 yrs and as of the last 5 yrs I am now diagnosed with IBS-D. All the blood and stool tests and I am just basically told to live with it. I have been non stop searching for something to help the situation. I miss a lot of work and I definitely believe employers should be educated more on this matter. It's certainly disheartening and there are days I an so depressed but I always try to be positive as much as I can be. It takes a tI'll on your physical and mental well being. I am on immodium, Tylenol 2 and probiotics every day. I have been prescribed more drugs but my body gets worse the more they give me. I meditate daily and that keeps the stress down as stress does increase your Ibs Symptoms. Just know you are not alone and hopefully we will have something to help us ellieviate the root cause of IBS😊

• Posted

Thanks for replying. Sounds like we're in a similar boat. My mental health is definitely hugely affected by it. But for the most I try and stay positive and keep up the fight. It's just so debilitating. I changed careers as my work was long hours, not enough sleep and very physical work to see if that would help. Currently I do a desk job (on a freelance basis) which is 9-5. But I still get symptoms everyday and huge flare ups once or twice a week. Yesterday I had to take the afternoon off and today I'm off because I know I'll have a flare up if I don't rest. I want permanent employment but surely taking sick days every week is impossible. How do you manage with work? I'm debating whether to tell employers when I go for interview. 

I do worry how many drugs I pump into my body everyday just to alleviate the pain a little. What I do know is there is more research into it happening so hopefully at some point in our lifetimes we might gets some answers and some solutions. 

• Posted

please go back to your dr. nausea that leads to vomiting is NOT normal for IBS.

it sounds like you are taking all the usual IBS meds - antispasmodics, pain relief. Domperidone is a very mild anti-emetic, so you can ask for something else. also different anti-emetics work on different neural pathways, so you may need to try different ones to see what works.

• Posted

I've been through all the tests and exploratory surgery - there's no other rational explanation for it.. 

• Posted

Victoria, it sounds as if you are trying all the right methods to ease up on your body...I. e. Changing jobs and resting when needed. I know I if I don't get enough rest or have a night where I toss and turn it is going to be a bad day. You did ask me about managing work and that's a tough question. I am at the point where I know I could do wonderfully at a work from home job however those are far and few between so it's bend for the last 10-15 years or so I really had to amp up what I was doing. Mornings are so worse. I always take an immodium without fail and pepto and 1 kids gravel for the nausea feeling. Sometimes 2 immodiums if necessary. I usually miss over 20 days of work (lots of lates)and could be more but there are days I drag myself in just cause I am worried about losing my job. I would be more than happy to work for my company when I am off for this IBS at home but 90% of companies won't do it. Just as of 2 yrs ago I couldn't take the stress of managing it so my Dr know does a medical note as to say I will most likely have more than normal I'll days off due to my condition. That has helped tremendously with my stresses at work. Other than that I am still trying to look at a Stay at Home option as I work 40 min away from my home. Stay smiling and positive Victoria

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.