Nausea before bowel movement every morning. Any advice?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I will be woken up every morning between 6 and 7 needing a bowel movement. It doesn't matter if I slept at 1am last night I will still get woken up.

Initially I will have gas, and nausea. I'll use the toilet and after going a couple of times the nausea will disappear and I'm right as rain. The nausea doesn't wake me up, it usually takes a minute or 2 for my bowels to fire up which is when I start feeling nausea.

Since I quit drinking alcohol it hasn't been as bad. The morning after a few beers would always cause me to use the toilet about 10 times per morning!

But I'm still using the toilet 2 or 3 times a morning to clear my bowels. I wish it would all come out at once lol!

Does anyone else have this problem and any tips t solve it?

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Yes I empty my bowels in the morning but I am left with a feeling of not fully empty, I know come 10am I will have to go again.

Gas can be a problem, I have had this for 4  years now. I long for the day when it was pleasure to empty your bowels fully in the morning.

Gets me down some times but I carry on!!

good luck 

• Posted

Hi, what I've found helps a lot, when on the toilet you need your knees a good bit higher than your hips you need to be in a squatting position it's the natural position, I use a 5 litre emulsion container to put my feet on, it does work, apparently in the sigmoid/rectum area of the colon there's a kink/bend, but when in the squatting position this bend straightens out, if you go for a colonoscopy or doctors to have your prostate checked they always want your knees right up I suppose this is the reason, straightens the colon.

• Posted

Hi, do you get enough fibre, and do know how much fibre you are getting? all these sort of gut issues drives people crazy, I'm always trying find a perfect combination of certain foods etc, but reckon there is probably no solution, a few things to check out, Magnesium citrate, coconut oil, olive oil, probiotics, chia seeds, I don't know wether any of these would help, it's all trial and error.

• Posted

How long have you had these symptoms?  Do you get,shifting abdominal pain?  Are your bowel movements constipated or loose, urgent or diarrhoea?  See your doctor and ask about IBS.
    • Posted

I'm not sure, a long time. I have often considered IBS because in the past I have had some major issues with dairy. Sometimes I can tolerate dairy, other times it will come straight back out the other end within 15 mins. There's been many occasions I've had emergency toilet situation as a result of drinking a milkshake.

My bowels were loose when I drank alcohol of a night, but I'm 1 week into quitting that silly habits and my poops have gone back to normal. Alcohol definitely made the situation worse.

• Posted

I would see a doctor to get a diagnosis.  Your doctor will tell you if you have IBS.
  • Posted

Have been diagnosed with IBS, for many years.  Pretty much the same with me re morning bowel movements:  2-4.  My GI said not unusual for morning BM’s - he’s trying to get my overall number per day down.  There are different meds to try.

I have nausea on & off - not sure what all that is related to, though, as also have GERD & many other diagnoses.

Good Luck!

• Posted

IBS can cause nausea eapecially with the pain; GERD is also linked with it.
  • Posted

I been having the same exact symptoms as you for 2 years..Been to the Doctors many times and the GI and they all say IBS..I have only had blood test done, US and Xrays. I’m seeing another GI July hopefully that one does a colonoscopy or something that can see further into.. I also wake up and the first thing is gas and go straight to the restroom.. This can happen 2-3 in the morning as well.. I get nausea too and belching. My stools contain mucus though which is very concerning to me..At night I also pass lots of gas..I been living like this for 2 years and it’s no fun at all. 
    • Posted

Sounds like IBS if you are having shifting abdominal pain.  I was diagnosed with IBS without a colonoscopy. You don’t necessarily need one unless you have alarm symptoms. 
    • Posted

Do you contain mucus in stool too or without? That’s my biggest concern that I always see it. 
    • Posted

Mucus in your stool is an IBS symptom; don’t worry about it!  I don’t experience this with my IBS but everyone is dfferent.
  • Posted

Hi James,

I experience the same symptoms that you are describing. Even some pain in the groin from straining on the toilet and fatigue throughout the day, pain under ribs, and some other abdominal pain on rare occasion. I gradually started noticing a change in my BM every morning over the last 4-5 years. I'm 32 almost 33 yrs old and was scared of what was going on with me. No one likes nausea in the morning. So I went and had an endoscopy and colonoscopy done, all clear except for gastritis and ibs, a ct scan on my abdomen done for gallstones, all clear, abdominal ultrasound done, all clear, 2 stool samples done, all clear except for a bout of c.diff that came on due to antibiotics that I was taking. The reason I tell you all of this is to emphasize how things like IBS and Gastritis can affect the body. If you dive into IBS blogs you will see how severe symptoms are for some folks. I would talk to your doctor for peace of mind, but i'm sure its just a bout of IBS coming on, since that's what woild happen to me in the mornings.

• Posted

yes im having the same thing waking up the same time every morning so annoying . and after that i just dont feel normal my whole body go stiff and i will constipate during the day . i just t did a ct scan and hopefully they can find something . every morning i feel like im dying lol don't if anxiety making feel like this . im loosing my mind

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.