Nausea in throat and stomach for 3 months.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello, I am relatively new to this forum so please forgive me for any mistakes I may make when posting this.

As of 3 months ago, I had encountered nausea within my throat and stomach with occasional mild abdominal pain. Initially, three months ago I was drinking the Weetabix cereal drinks, until one morning before I left the house for school I began to cough aggresively and felt incredibly nauseous. A few moments later I had ended up vomiting. At the time I completely dismissed any worries hoping it was merely a virus.

However, I had noticed that after that day I had felt nauseous every single day. At the time I was taking multi vitamins though due to their size I would snap them in half and consume one half at a time. However, one morning shortly after the previous occassion I encountered a strong urge to vomit, once again a significant feeling of nausea was present in my throat and I had vomitted, except this time it was very liquidy and smelt orangey. I assume that occasion was down to the multi-vitamins.

Every day for 3 months now I have felt nauseous, before it would fluctuate and occur at particular times, though now it is most prominent in the morning and is dull and continuous within my throat and stomach throughout the day. 2 months ago I had a blood test done, whereby my GP said there was nothing unusual or worrying about my results, only that my amylase levels were slightly low (not sure if that is a factor). I had also taken two urine samples which found nothing alarming.

Since then I had been prescribed ranitidine for the vomiting, and finished the dose without it helping. I was then given omeprazole, though after encountering concentration issues I temporarily gave them up. It is worth noting on the first day of taking omeprazole I felt amazing, though by the next day the symptoms of a nauseous feeling in the throat and stomach had returned. After going back to the hospital I was told nothing could be done, and was given hyascine to help with the vomiting. It had not helped. After having an altercation with my GP over their lack of support they gave me amoxicillin, though after completing the doseage this had not helped either. Finally, I decided to change to my fathers PPI, lansoprazole, which had made no difference. I stopped the medication after a month.

I stopped taking the lorazepam due to research suggesting one percent of individuals in a sample had encountered memory loss, and since the medicine had not helped I decided to stop it completely. It may be of importance to know I take brown inhaler, though after reading such medicine could cause nausea I decided to experiment and stop using the inhaler for a couple of days, the results as of yet are inconclusive.

A couple of weeks ago I undertook an ultrasound on my stomach to analyse any underlying problems, though the results came back normal.

Overall, I understand I have taken a fair amount of medication within the past three months though due to school I really need to eradicate this nausea to be able to fully concentrate and work to the best of my ability.

So within the three month span I have felt nauseouz every single day except the first day of taking omeprazole, though on the second day the nausea returned. I vomitted every single day for and a half months up until eventually managing to only feel incredibly nauseous without vomiting.

I am a 17 year old male.

Here are my symptoms:

Persistant nausea in my throat every morning after waking up which does not subside after eating, in fact eating becomes more of a challenge due to nausea, where at times I feel as if I would gag if I stuck my tongue out.

Persistant nausea in my stomach often accompanied with mild pain covering the centre of my stomach.

Passing wind and stools which smell really bad.

Burping and belching which makes me feel nauseous every time I release the gas.

Coughing which makes me gag during the morning, though coughing during the day does not result in the trigger of any gag or nausea (the nausea is still present but not persistant when coughing, as opposed to how it is during the mornings).

Thank you very much to anyone who read this whole extract. If you could give me any advice on what to do, what it may be, and the best treatment that would be amazing. Thank you so much.

2 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

All said and done. the fact that omeprazole helped suggests that you maybe having gastric issues (inflammation of the lining of the stomach) causing excessive production of stomach acid, thereby causing nausea and/or vomiting after the reflux action. 

Ditch all medicines and iTry taking natural probiotic and soothing drinking like yogurt. 

See if it works.

• Posted

Thank you very much for taking the time to read and respond. Yes I recently heard of the influences of probiotics, hopefully the prove promising. Thanks again.
    • Posted

Hi Rocky

Gastro problem for 3 months that too for a teen age guy. I feel the problem may be gastro but cause may be some virus. Does any virus makes this kind ? Hpv, Ebv , cmv ?

Or parasites?

• Posted

Sounds like gastritis and you probably did not do yourself any favours taking acid blockers at your age.

You mentioned lorazepam at some point? Was that a typo?

The smelly gas and stools are a sign of food not being properly digested and usually point to too little acid and not too much acid. Less acid than ideal also causes the oesophagal sphincter to loosen up causing some stomach acid to leak into the oesophagus making you gag. I would not suppress the acid but instead take fermented foods, probiotics and limit starch and meat for a while. I would also avoid dairy other than yoghurts for a couple of weeks if possible.  I would also not take multi-vitamins for a while until your gut flora is sorted. This may all simply be a result of some viral infection you had weeks before onset of these symptoms or it could be something structural.

If a change in diet and 2-3 months of being careful do not help, or your symptoms continue to worsen you should see about having gastroscopy to check that perhaps there are no deviations in your oesophagus etc.

At your age gastroscopy is rarely warranted but if you keep gagging and vomiting the doctors should have a look at it.

Any bout of gastritis usally takes a while to regulate. You can try taking Hcl acid supplements but i would be reserved with any supplementts unless you first try to rebalance the gut naturally.

All the best.

• Posted

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and respond to the query. I will definitely take what you have said into consideration and will soon try the probiotics. I feel a lot better now, thanks again. Yes, the lorazepam sentence was a typo, I often make mistakes between lansopraziole and lorazepam for some reason. Thanks again.
  • Posted

Has anyone mentioned Gastroparesis to you?  The symptoms you are displaying are very much like those for this condition.   Try eating smaller meals but more often.Only have sips of a non sparkling drink with your meal.  Your stomach may not be emptying quickly enough and there is a stomach emptying test you can have

Try also cutting out all things like coke and sparkling fruit drinks.  You could also try cutting out all dairy products. Milk drinks and yoghurts are often thought to be beneficial but if you cannot tolerate them it may help you to cut them out if only for a while...no cheese either..

The coughing and gagging you experience indicates to me a reflux action which is irritating your oesophagus.  

• Posted

Hello, thank you very much for taking the time to read and respond to my query.

I read about gastroparesis after reading your comment and the symptoms seem to match very closely, I am currently in the process of taking probiotics and limiting the amount of dairy intake and fizzy drinks I consume (as you have advised) and will see how that goes for around a month. If no change occurs I will look into the fact that I may very well have gastroparesis and will try to get that checked.

Thank you so much for responding.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.