Nausea, Lethargic, Falling Behind in School

Posted , 7 users are following.

My iron is around 1,300; I've noticed joint pain, nausea, and fatigue. As my iron levels have been going up, nausea becomes more intensified, and I have thrown up a few times because of it. I also notice that I just don't feel awake at most times, I'm always tired, dizzy, and never focused. It's becoming hard to just get on with my day and work hard in school, I used to be so good, and now I just don't feel like myself anymore. It's even making me feel depressed. 

I'm afraid to eat anything with iron because I don't want to add onto what I've already got in me (I haven't had a venesection in months). Can anyone please tell me what their diet is.. tell me what I could eat and not feel sick after eating it.. I want to feel like me again sad

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Everything has iron in it.  You have to be phlebotomized! Sorry - best answer
  • Posted

Hi Jenne , my iron was 1905 last January and I’ve had VS weekly until now, it’s down to 34. Although I have cirrhosis thru mis diagnosis I remain very positive in everything I do. I take supplementS BAC & Alpha lypoic acid, milk thistle , curcumin & ubiquinol. I drink milk with dinner, cook my veg with a green tea teabag and haven’t eaten any red meat. I also have really painful knuckle thru iron overload and my wrists won’t fold like they used to which is a pain as I’m a pilates teacher. I obviously don’t drink ANY alcohol. I do get tired allowing myself to be a bit lazy but I’m obviuosly looking to stay alive and bring the iron out if it’s liver store so as not for cirrhosis to get worse etc. Stay Positive and just think how lucky you are to tell the tale. I’m 61 in Feb and only got diagnosed 1 year ago!!!! I have a lovely 1st grand child do I have more to be grateful for even tho I was FURIUIS that Drs had missed such a simple blood test after me having a life of joint pain degenerative facet joints etc. 

I wish you luck and tell you to match up to blood unit and Demand VS & get that iron DOWN for a start. Don’t delay xx connect with me anytime x

• Posted

Also Jenne you could try doing a liver detox for 3 days if you’re liver works well so does the body, the liver had about 500 jobs to do . Mornings have a smoothie of 1cup pineapple/3”cucumber/cup kale/3basil leaves/ 1teasp cinnamon. 1” ginger. 1tbsp coconut or good quality oil/1/2lemon squeezed & teaspoon honey to taste if too sour. Drop of water if needed to smoothie it up. Actually it’s yummy. Usually I have porridge with blueberries or poached eggs on wholemeal toast & avocado for breakfast. No packet cereals. 

• Posted

Thank you so much, I'm hoping that my parents can get in contact with my hematologist to schedule a venesection. I'm terrified of getting permanent issues from H, especially since I'm really young, I'm only 17, and I was diagnosed when I was 14. I get pain on my side (where my liver is), so hopefully, this detox could help it out a little. I have pain in my knuckles, hips, knees, and ankles sometimes, which isn't really helpful when I have to participate in gym class. You're very brave for maintaining optimism with H; I try to do that as well. 

• Posted

You have a ferritin level of 1300 and have not been venesected in months!!!!  Why not?  Are you avoiding them or do you have a useless dr?

If you are young enough to still be going to school and have a ferritin level that high, you have a serious problem and should not be messing around with it.

Tell your parents you need venesection treatment straight away, or just go to your dr yourself and get it sorted out.

Diet does not solve your iron issues unless you are eating food fortified with iron, and iron supplements - in which case STOP eating them.

Get that toxic iron out of you and then you have a chance of feeling better.

• Posted

I haven't had anything done because my mother won't call my doctor to schedule anything, and I'm 17, so I cant do that on my own just yet. I am avoiding foods that are loaded with iron (like red meats). I don't even want to prevent a venesection because I remember how I felt so much better afterward, Its definitely worth it.. I just can't get them done on my own, which is really upsetting. 

• Posted

What country are you in?  Maybe someone from same country knows a way around this.

• Posted

If you are in the UK I’m sure you can visit a doctor under your own asteam otherwise I would say this is irresponsible behaviour on your parents side for which I would personally consider abusive. Why would they not put your health first . You need venesection NOW
    • Posted

I'm from America, so technically I can't do it on my own, which isnt fair. I'm having my dad call and see if anything can happen.

• Posted

Usually my mother would do the calling and scheduling for doctors appointments.. but lately, shes been having memory problems, so she just keeps forgetting to call, and when I remind her about it, she insists that the doctor has to call us..which doesn't make any sense. It's becoming really hard to get her to understand the simplest things. So my father is trying to call instead.. and I'm hoping he knows what he's doing. 

• Posted

Update: It turns out that a nurse, who used to handle my medical files, had retired and never passed my files onto a new nurse. We had to wait a day for a new nurse to go through my records and see what was up. I finally was able to have an appointment scheduled with me hematologist in about two weeks, from there I can finally have another venesection. I can't wait smile I remember how I felt so much better after the last one I had. 

• Posted

Well, we all hope it works out for you.  Remember you have to educate yourself on this and be your own advocate.  You must be assertive when you need to be and being knowledgeable helps you.  Print off medical research about any of your problems and take it with you to the medical people to back yourself up.

Good luck.

• Posted

With a number that high why are you not getting treatment that is madness.

Being afraid to eat will make things worse because you will increase your fatigue (diet doesn't really matter much almost everything has iron)

You will continue to feel sick and it will only get worse until you get your numbers down

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.