nausea, vomiting, and insomnia- birth control or another underlying cause?

Posted , 2 users are following.

My friend and roommate got the nexplanon implant around 2-3 months ago, and had a very severe reaction to it, almost immediately. They were puking up anything that they were eating, weren't able to sleep because of their constant nausea, and gagging whenever they lied down to try and sleep. The implant was removed shortly after, and they were given medication to help with nausea which they ended up being allergic to and experienced dystonia, so they were switched to a different nausea medication. They went back on birth control (a combination progesterone and estrogen pill), but their nausea, vomiting, and insomnia have not gotten better. Their anti-nausea pills don't seem to work, and every time they are able to fall asleep they wake up to vicious panic attacks with full body sweat, nausea, and shaking.

Their medical bills are already very high so they're trying not to go to the doctor for a while, but I'm very concerned for them.

Is this all due to contraceptives? or does it sound like there is an underlying cause??

Is there any chance it will just get better if they remain on their birth control?

Please help!!!!!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I would strongly suggest coming off the pill altogether. Hormones can affect people in lots of different ways. If she is this sensitive to them, then she shouldn't have been given the pill after her reaction to the implant. There are other methods of birth control that are out there that don't affect your hormones. When doctors hand out the pill, they don't go through all the nasty side effects with you, if they did a lot of people would chose other methods of birth control.

I was on the pill for years I got irritable, very anxious, very depressed and eventually ended up getting multiple pulmonary emboli. I think it is a horrible medication that some people can die from, things usually get worse on it over time, not better.

• Posted

i might start talking to them about this, because none of their symptoms seem to be getting better. thank you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.