Nausea when taking 1mg oestradiol but goes away when taking 2 mg?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had a hysterectomy 1 year ago at the age of 44. I was put on 1 mg oestradiol but experienced what felt like morning sickness in pregnancy. The doctor increased the dosage and it went away. I then experienced headaches so the dosage was reduced and the sickness has returned. Coincidence or am I going to have to choose between extreme nausea or debilitating headaches? Help please!!!!

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tracy

cant answer the main question, but can say ginger tablets stops the nausea sickness feeling... Jay xx

• Posted

That is really common until you get the right dosage and delivery system.  I do not know if you take it orally or topically.  If taken orally, perhaps switching to topical.  You can also try an estrogen cream compounded by a pharmacy (estrodial) which is individualized and try 1.5 estrodial and see if you feel better or any other permutation.  You can try Bi-Est (estrodial and estriol) in any dosage form and see if that works as well.   I know for me I had to tweak around with the delivery system and doses and as my body changes, sometimes I still change around the dose.  I get the headaches and sometimes nausea if i take too much.  That sis what is great about compounded, if you take too much or too little you can tweak the dose.  I started out 7 years ago with Divigel which I liked, but it cam in standard pack of 1 mg and if I need some more I would waste a whole pack, since I need a little and if i wanted to titrate it down I would have to use a little bit of the 1 mg and had the rest of the pack that I did not need. Hope this helps.

Sandy

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. I am going to mention all your points to my gp. I am just confused as to why I get sick if I take a smaller dosage rather than larger. The doctor really wants me on a lower dose as I had a heart attack at 42 and was on hrt at the time. This is a different one which is a shame as on the other one I felt fabulous.

Thank you again for your help.

• Posted

Hi ginger works to stop nausea really well also sea bands worn on wrists for motion sickness work well. Do you want to take hrt? 
    • Posted

Hi Liz. I will get some ginger, will it work in tea form? I am a wreck without the hrt. Cant function at all. I have a lot of conditions so have decided that as long as I can function and go to work etc I will worry about side effects of medications at a later date. I tend to go for quality of life now. Sounds blase but I have been ill in one form or another since I was young so am full of medication.
  • Posted

Hi Tracy,

sorry to rha that UR r so young to go theu the big .."M". It's tough to deal with thru any age.

That could be something to ask UR doc. He has UR health history and better

Informed to advise u. 

Everyone is different and reacts differently to drugs. 

cheere

• Posted

Or try patches, like Estraderm (oestradiol) MX (Matrix) so that it is absorbed slowly. Patches are a pain too but I would rather them than passing the oral medication through my liver.
    • Posted

To be honest I would rather anything than tablets because I am already on medication for my heart, fms, hms and depression. They can inject me daily if it means no more tablets.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.